• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RUMOR: Alaska to Buy Frontier!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That'd be rich . . . . the company asking for a 23% pay cut, then setting the Frontier and Alaska employee against each other in a seniority battle. Just like AA . . . . only the pain of the seniority integration came first, then the 23% pay cut.

Believe me, you don't want part of either.

Re: getting the 300s

Rhino said:
Yesterday I spoke with a supervisor of maintenance for Alaska Airlines. He is a Master Chief in my Navy Reserve squadron, and he was explaining to me that the -200s were going away because of an expensive maintenance check that would be due in the near future, and that instead the company will be leasing the -300s for less money. He also said there would be no net increase in total aircraft (as of the current plan that may change tomorrow).

Being home for dinner most every night sure sounds great!

I think there will be no a/c increase to the ANC base. Just a capacity increase due to the -300 vs -200. I know the -200 are becoming very expensive to maintain, and the company has been looking for some time. The -300 would be great fit. It could do RNP and for that matter, all 737 pilots from all the bases could do the flying. It would make for some better lines and more efficient flying too. No more home everynight for the ANC crews though. It will be the end to the best airline gig in the industry!

The rumor floating around is two new cities to be announced early 2004 with some more connecting the dots. Also have heard rumors of some possible classes late winter/early spring. Stay tuned.

I disagree with mach none. I think the Anchorage base is going to double in size in the next few years. The company spends a lot of money on hotels in Anchorage right now. Make the Anchorage base a 200, 300, 400 base and you can alleviate many of those hotel costs. The base needs to get bigger to be more efficient with regards to reserves. Once the 200s are all gone, then they can make it a 300, 400, NG base along with Seattle and LA. Once that happens you can have ANC crews doing trips similar to the ANC flight attendants, who work trips all over the system. While that will mean a lot more time away from home for ANC crews, it will also mean more opportunities to upgrade.

Singlecoil said:
I disagree with mach none. I think the Anchorage base is going to double in size in the next few years. The company spends a lot of money on hotels in Anchorage right now. Make the Anchorage base a 200, 300, 400 base and you can alleviate many of those hotel costs. The base needs to get bigger to be more efficient with regards to reserves. Once the 200s are all gone, then they can make it a 300, 400, NG base along with Seattle and LA. Once that happens you can have ANC crews doing trips similar to the ANC flight attendants, who work trips all over the system. While that will mean a lot more time away from home for ANC crews, it will also mean more opportunities to upgrade.

Singlecoil:

I am sorry, I did not make myself clear. I don't think the base will grow immediately. They will get the -300s on board and phase out the -200s. After that is done, than, I agree. They will grow the base. It only makes sense. I can also see them growing LA too. I does not make sense having one big base (SEA) and two small bases (LAX than ANC). I am all for it. More opportunities for all of us.

Any idea what the new destinations may be? Would the -300's be coming from out of the desert, possibly old US, UA, FR planes?

Alaskaairlines said:
Any idea what the new destinations may be? Would the -300's be coming from out of the desert, possibly old US, UA, FR planes?

Mostly likely destinations will be somewhere on the east coast and somewhere in the midwest. I have heard Costa Rica and Belize too. My guess would be somewhere will higher yields.

Where the -300s would come from? Who knows. The would be glass, HUD, and dual GPS though (RNP).

-300s with a cargo door?

Are there any -300s with a door out there or will it be a mod? The Navy has bought the -700C with the aforementioned door and that would be a great fit... or does the -300 fall under the FAA clause that the -200 does for the mixed cargo/pax config and the -700 does not? Just curiosity...

Machnone... if your classes rumor is true... oh yeah baby... but I fly with AS guys at TCM all the time and hear the FULL range of rumors. Can't wait until the phone finally rings... maybe Christmas Eve again?

Will the entire panel be glass, or will the engine gauges still be the round dials?
I don't think I've seen any glass -300's around, again I don't get to ride on them a whole lot either.

I know -300 mod is around with some being converted in Isreal. There are not that many. I believe FedEx flew -300s with a cargo door for a short time. It just did not work for their operation.

I also believe that once the -200s go, the movable bulkhead goes too. That has been why that company has hung on to them for so long. Gravel kits help too. The -300s would not be certified for gravel. It would be cheaper to pave the strips that we fly to then certify the -300 for those ops. That is according to Bill Ayer. Maybe that is where our 23% give back (won't get!) will go. To buy pavement.

As far as them being glass. It is just like the -400. A mix of glass and steam. The engine gauges are a LED needle on an anolog gauge. Difficult to describe, but those that have seen it know what I am talking about. Not the greatest setup.

Rumors, rumors and more rumors. I hope we have class soon. It sure would be nice for the poolies.

mach none said:
Rumors, rumors and more rumors. I hope we have class soon. It sure would be nice for the poolies.

Since some have asked on here, I have gone to the "Managers" and the "Managing Director" in the training department, and asked about classes for next year (under the guise of asking for my own benefit, training, etc., and what my timetable looks like for getting completely signed off), and I get the same answer from all of them. Only CQ (continuting qualification, or recurrent) and possibly transition classes. No new hires until 2005. However, I get the feeling that this is the "official" company line, and new hire classes will be talked about only when they are announced and become a reality.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back