• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RSW Approach Control question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Welcome to Florida. It's getting that way with MIA Center as well. Rude controllers, unwilling to help, etc.. Just last night (late, very late) as we leveled off at 17,000 I asked MIA Center if possible direct destination (PBI). "Unable" came the short and tense response. I actually had to get on the second radio and contact PBI APP and ask them to call MIA and request us direct. All it would have taken was a call at that very late hour. The crazy part is we have asked for that at busier times and had it approved. Unwilling, uncaring attitudes.

One 'dick' at RSW and an "unable" from Miami Center doesn't constitute "Rude controllers, unwilling to help" in my mind, and I fly in that airspace every day. When did this become a forum for bashing ATC? It used to be a good source of getting ATC guys to offer some insight or answer procedural questions.

Flying into RSW the other day, we had a conversation similar to the following and was wondering if there is a logical explanation for not providing a simple answer to our question, but instead turning the question into a long, drawn-out ordeal. The winds were 130/10.

Me: Approach, flight XXX, five thousand for three thousand, information Mike.
Apprch: Roger, XXX
Me: Still landing runway six?
Apprch: Information Mike is current
Me: Yes sir, we have Mike. Is runway six still in use?
Apprch: Do you have information Mike?
Me: Yes, we have information Mike?
Apprch: I am not sure what you are asking?
me: We are asking if you are still using runway six.
Apprch: Pick up ATIS for that information.

I am confused why they didn't just say affirmative or negative? Every other airport gives you the approach and runway when checking in with approach, but this type of behavior has happened at RSW a couple of times. Just curious why they refuse to give that information, even when asked.

As a previous controller, that is absolute BS. If it happens again, tell him "Please advise the supervisor on duty to mark the tape, review it and that I'd like the phone number to the supervisors desk to discuss this in detail". Just like that, no emotion or fanfare. If the controller refuses to give you the number, say thank you and after landing ask for the tower supervisors number and start again there.

One 'dick' at RSW and an "unable" from Miami Center doesn't constitute "Rude controllers, unwilling to help" in my mind, and I fly in that airspace every day. When did this become a forum for bashing ATC? It used to be a good source of getting ATC guys to offer some insight or answer procedural questions.

Agreed! People are a little sensitive these days.

MIA is probably the best center - other than Anchorage at getting you up to altitude quickly.

RSW has been like that for years. B52 patterns. I've flown in there from a Cessna 180 to a Gulfstream and it always the same BS, for "noise". The guy I fly with rages in the cockpit all the time when it comes to "dick" controllers. Just makes him look like an idiot for stooping to that level with the controller.

As a previous controller, that is absolute BS. If it happens again, tell him "Please advise the supervisor on duty to mark the tape, review it and that I'd like the phone number to the supervisors desk to discuss this in detail". Just like that, no emotion or fanfare. If the controller refuses to give you the number, say thank you and after landing ask for the tower supervisors number and start again there.
I could not agree more! I asked to land opposite direction in SBN with calm winds and no other traffic on the radio...answer "unable". After a few inquires I was told it was due to traffic and could not get straight in to 27. We flew a bomber pattern to rwy 9 right over the city instead of using 27. Not 1 aircraft called or was even on TCAS. After we landed for 10 min still not 1 aircraft. I asked the grd controller who was also the same guy on tower and approach for his supervisor's name and number. After a phone call to the supervisor who was working a departure freq. he said he would listen to the tapes and call me back. He did! And said the controller would be under a disciplinary review and was totally wrong! Said ATC is supposed to accommodate all requests if possible and did not interfere with traffic or noise. Also said there was no other traffic...the controller was just being a dick! I flew the DC9 for ABX through there for years after and never had the problem again. Always get the supervisors name and # and at least let them know what YOUR tax dollars are paying for.

I could not agree more! I asked to land opposite direction in SBN with calm winds and no other traffic on the radio...answer "unable". After a few inquires I was told it was due to traffic and could not get straight in to 27. We flew a bomber pattern to rwy 9 right over the city instead of using 27. Not 1 aircraft called or was even on TCAS. After we landed for 10 min still not 1 aircraft. I asked the grd controller who was also the same guy on tower and approach for his supervisor's name and number. After a phone call to the supervisor who was working a departure freq. he said he would listen to the tapes and call me back. He did! And said the controller would be under a disciplinary review and was totally wrong! Said ATC is supposed to accommodate all requests if possible and did not interfere with traffic or noise. Also said there was no other traffic...the controller was just being a dick! I flew the DC9 for ABX through there for years after and never had the problem again. Always get the supervisors name and # and at least let them know what YOUR tax dollars are paying for.

So you went thru all of that because you didn't get the runway you requested? He was being a d!ck, so you have to stoop to his level?

So you went thru all of that because you didn't get the runway you requested? He was being a d!ck, so you have to stoop to his level?
Going thru SBN 5 night a week 10 days per month.....just the days I was flying the trip in a DC9 at 55.00 per minute adds 350.00 to 400.00 per night. Our company manual says use every resource available to conserve fuel/time. Even his supervisor said our request should have been granted. Also this was not the first time this controller had denied this request. Coming from MSN to SBN this was a standard request that this one controller seemed to enjoy denying. What does your manual say? Spend all you can...el Captain.

Anybody on this site ever fly into LGB? There is this guy named Todd. Never met him personally and I`m sure he is a God loving-God Fearing, family man, good guy etc etc. But JEEZ.......... this guy is a total turd! It is humurous to listen to him and his tirades towards everyone from student pilots to pros.

Professionaly speaking: I greatly appreciate Controllers and the job they have to accomplish... With that said though...........You have never seen a dead controller at the scene of an accident. Sometimes controllers yield a little too much control!!!! Just my opinion!

What does your manual say? Spend all you can...el Captain.

That's exactly what it says! Relax, have a beer, I wasn't calling you the d!ck. :beer: Why didn't you just call the controller directly? If nothing came about it, then go to the next level. There are better ways to go about things.

Latest resources

Back