• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Royal Air Freight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What airplane, they fly everything from a C-310 to the DA-20?

As far as mx and scheduling it is your average freight outfit. However it is a family run buisness and I was treated very well there. I spent 5 years flying for Royal and I don't regret any of it. The D.O. is buy far the best guy I have ever worked for. Tough job though. You got to be kinda of a blue collar guy to fly at a company like this. These folks really showed me how to fly.

Is it a scheduled run type of situation or a sit-around-on-call situation? If you're on call, what's the expected time from phone call to wheels-up?

It's on call. Generaly that want the aircraft moving of the blocks in a half hour. So you need to live close buy the airport. If you think you will have a problem being woke up at 2:00 am to go work a 14 hour day. Don't waste your time. Go get a corporate gig or a regional job. However I don't think you will find a more challenging enviornment to fly in anywhere. You will definitly have an oppurtunity to find out what kind of pilot you really are.:)

I've done a search but nothing recent. The flying I'm doing now is very similar to Royal's, but in smaller aircraft. I don't mind it (call me crazy), but I'd like to eventually move on at a jet operator like Royal.

What is competitive for the Bandits, Lears, and Falcons at Royal? Upgrade times?

How is it living in Pontiac? Any good? I've been there several times, but never ventured far from the airport. Any other info (good or bad)?

Thanks!

It's been a few years for me, but...

RAF operates Lears, Bandits, C310/402s, Mu-2's, and I believe they have some Da-20's on property now.

In the Bandit we were on call 24/7 Mon thru Fri. One weekend you were on first call, the next weekend you were on second call (this sucked because you couldn't go do anything and you still might not fly which = no pay for your lost weekend). I remember it being a 45 minute call out, maybe it's changed.

It's a family owned and run business that's been around a long time. Bill Kostich (owner) pays cash for everything so I don't see them going out of business anytime soon.

The mx was average.

For an on-demand, p. 135 operator, they pay very well with great health bennies.

You will do a lot of flying. This was my first flying gig and I built a lot of time of quick. I think I averaged around 100-110 hours per month.

When I was there it was a pretty tight pilot group. We would often run in to each other a 5-6 am at Jerry's (greasy spoon) after dragging back in from an all-nighter. There were 2 or 3 bars on M-59 that we would meet up at on Friday nights.

Overall, I was treated fairly and my only regret is that I didn't stick it out longer there. I could have payed down a lot of debt but the shiny-regional-jet syndrome got the best of me:rolleyes:.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that most of their flying is for the automotive industry so the flying is tied to the same up and down cycles that the automakers experience.

Last edited:
4fanman, thanks for the info!

Some followup questions if you don't mind (or anyone else that can answer them):

-Does every new-hire start in the C310/402, or is it based on prior experience?

-Are you typically qualified in more than one aircraft at a time, or just one?

-Upgrades/transition to other aircraft- based on seniority, butt kissing, experience, or a combination of all?

-Who are most of their new-hires? CFI's moving on? Freight pilots from other operators?

-High or low turnover?

-Are the Bandits/MU2's flown single-pilot?

-How's the training? Done in house, or elsewhere?

-Best way to get a resume noticed if you don't know someone? Walk-ins acceptable? If you don't live in the area?

I think that's it. Thanks a bunch for any help, I owe you beer!

T-Gates said:
Sounds like a good on-demand gig, as long as you know what you are getting into in regards to On-Demand 135 freight. I hear pay is decent too. I recelect running into a C-310 guy making in excess of 50k if he had good year.

The guy i talk to from Royal flys the 310 and hes makin a little more then that. Hes been there a few years but how can you beat $50k+ a year flying a 310? Kinda funny.

Also theres a ELP based crew that i see on ocassion for royal that LOVES flying for royal very much.

Latest resources

Back