Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CUEBOAT

HomeBaseBKLYN
I went to the FLL fsdo today to get my goldseal. What an ordeal. It took almost 2 hours. the man who didn't introduce himslef to me, was just a prick. He throw my 8710 back at me because it wasn't signed. The reason it wasn't signed was because he snatched out of my hand before I could sign it. He then started asking me questions as if I was on a checkride. He also was questioning if I was an Instructor at all, he didn't believe I had actually endorsed the amount of applicants in the amount of time that I've been instructing.He then took all my paper work behind a door. An hour and 45 minutes later, He then came out with no explanation and asked what flight school I worked for and if we had an approved 141 course. What does this have to do with me obtaining my goldseal? 5 mins later he came out and gave me goldseal like everything was peachy. How about some compensation for the 2 hours I lost sitting in your office. Avoid the FLL fsdo like the plaugue if you can help it. Completely unprofessional.

About a month ago, FAA Inspectors were red tagging aircraft ......

In Freeport, The Bahammas!!!! I kid you not.

You can see it now... A couple of bitter, over the hill inspectors decide they need a vacation...paid vacation... and justify it by writing tickets.

It's not just FSDO. Spend some time down at the Social Security office or DMV. I just spent seven months waiting for some BATF paperwork to come through that shouldn't have taken as long as a few weeks.

I think the government workers have come to think we work for them.

funny thing, our government.. They hire the worst people for some of the most important jobs, ie. DMV and Social Security like mentioned above, Post Office, Transit Workers, TSA!!!
I mean, how save are we with these documents when we have tools running the show... retarded

Orlando FSDO

CUEBOAT said:
He . . . was questioning if I was an Instructor at all, he didn't believe I had actually endorsed the amount of applicants in the amount of time that I've been instructing . . . . He then came out with no explanation and asked what flight school I worked for and if we had an approved 141 course . . . . Avoid the FLL fsdo like the plaugue if you can help it. Completely unprofessional.
I read and reread your story because I thought you were writing about the Orlando FSDO. Your experience almost mirrored my "experience" renewing my CFI at that fine facility eleven years ago.

I had resigned my FlightSafety job for a new job. My CFI still had several months left, but I wanted to renew it in Florida because I knew that FSI was known to them as opposed to some FSDO in California where I was moving.

I had always renewed my CFI in Scottsdale. Always brought in my prepared 8710 and logbook, which contained my pass/fail record. Never a single problem with those fine, courteous and professional folks. It and the Oklahoma City FSDO had been my only FSDO experiences; the OKC FSDO was always great. I even recorded a narration for the Aviation Safety Counselor there. So, I came to believe that all FSDOs were similarly courteous and professional.

How wrong I was. I went to Orlando with my usual records. I walk in, and I am greeted by an inspector. I was asked why I wanted to renew so far ahead of time. She wanted to know on what basis I was renewing and said that renewals based on activity were not automatic - which was news to me. She asked if I was a full-time instructor. She asked if I had an FSI business card. FSI never gave me business cards. She then demanded the phone number for FSI. I was really given the third degree. I never, ever, suffered such an interrogation during the two previous times I renewed in Scottsdale, one of which being my Gold Seal.

I asked why she needed to know all these things. She apparently interpreted this as resistance because she then threatened to 609 (709) me. I never, ever was threatened with a 609. That really scared me because I had accepted another job and was getting ready to move and would not have access to airplanes.

She expressed doubts about the veracity of my pass/fail record in my logbook. At that time it hadn't been as good as it had been, but was still better than 80%. Some busts were actually 141 stage check failures, which would never appear in records anyway; I still counted certification stage checks as FAA rides. I was made to wait; then she finally returned with my Temporary - apparently after she called FSI. I rushed out. I then stopped in Melbourne and decided to look at my Temporary. My CFI number had been typed wrong! So, I drove all the way back to Orlando, and was greeted by another inspector was in on my initial appearance. He gave a "why is this guy back" look. He corrected my ticket by hand. All in all, it was a perfectly horrible experience.

And, it was the last time I went to a FSDO to renew. I had a friend who was an ASI in a different FSDO. She offered to renew me based on acquaintance. By that time I wasn't flying, but I still took her up on her offer. She had apologized to me earlier for my terrible Orlando experience - and it wasn't even her FSDO!

Whatever you do, stay away from the Orlando FSDO.

Last edited:
If you had to work 40 hours a week in some nasty old office with a bunch of miserable government employees you'd be a prick too...

Oh the stresses of 9-4 with a "gov hour" lunchbreak..

40hrs lol

And just remember, the above listed people working the old grind of 40hrs a week, are home every night, have better benefits and make more money than us. Well, maybe I shouldn't say "us" in general.....anyone makes more money than a Regional Pilot.

I'LL SAY THIS UNTIL I DIE, IF YOU GUYS AT THE REGIONALS KEEP SIGNING SUBSTANDARD CONTRACTS, WE AT THE REGIONALS ARE ALWAYS GOING TO HAVE SUBSTANDARD LIVES....STAND UP AND GET A BACKBONE AND TELL THE COMPANY CEO'S TO F-OFF.

Latest resources

Back