Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ASI benies

outflying1 said:
And just remember, the above listed people working the old grind of 40hrs a week, are home every night, have better benefits and make more money than us.
Not to mention all federal holidays off, and paid-for training and upgrading for advanced certificates. It is axiomatic that whenever possible someone other than you should pay for your ratings; nothing like having Uncle Sam do it.

Valuable in-service personal development training.

Further, as I understand, no hassles for taking sick time. You can even lose your medical and remain employed, though, of course, you can't fly.

I do understand, though, that there is always a "duty" ASI in every FSDO for weekends and holidays, and they are called out during off-hours.

I won't mention jumpseat privileges. So many feds abuse them.

What a job! What a country!

Seriously, there are tons of pilots who are beating down the doors trying to get on the ASI registry.

Last edited:
"Its just a tool of the organization perpertrated by the man to hold me down. "

I am going to refer to the FAA as " the man" from now on. For the hour and 45mins that I was sitting in the ofice, "the man" was more than likely looking for something to say sorry I can't issue your gold seal. I bet he was doing all types of backround checks on me.

Well, not all FSDOs are like your FLL experience. I never had a problem in BWI or IAD. Just recently, I renewed mine in ATL. It was a very quick and courteous experience. The inspector told me when I upgrade to Captain, I won't even need to do one of those FIRCS. Since one of a captains duties is to TRAIN F/Os to be captains, that counts under the criteria for renewal.

xgamin, who do you fly for? I tried to renew in ATL 5 months ago and was told they will only do ASA Captains. I had to do the online course,what a waste!

A couple of years ago when I became eligible for my Gold Seal I called my local FSDO to make an appointment. They then began to query me on all the requirements, to which I answered in the affirmative. Then he asked me if I were a 2-year CFI. (At that time I wasn't). Uh, no, sir. Well then you don't meet the requirements.
Those of you who are Gold Seals are probably laughing by now. As you know the regs only say that all the requiremnts must have been accomplished within the preceeding 24 months. NOTHING about having been a CFI for 24 months.
I had to go to a different FSDO, who, BTW, gave it to me with no problem and with courtesy.
FSDOs are like a box of chocolates. . . you never know what you'll get.

Re: Orlando FSDO

bobbysamd said:

Whatever you do, stay away from the Orlando FSDO.

Thanks for the warning Bobby. So far my interaction has been OK but my stuff has been easy to deal with stuff.

From WrightAvia:
"I think the government workers have come to think we work for them."

Yes, and it continues to get worse.

The Fort Liquordale FSDO is nothing but a bunch of good ole boys passing time, they never come over and audit our airline, and let me tell you its a good thing if they did they would close the doors asap. If only the public knew !

DCitrus9,

I'm a fellow 717 driver at AirTran. Maybe different inspectors have different opinions. The one I talked to was very helpful. I told him I flew for AirTran. He basically said that being a 121 Captain fits the "duties and responsibities" requirement. The pertinent requirement is in everybody's FOM.

those who can't fly; teach those who can't teach; work for the FAA

lets change the word FAA with FSDO.

I work for the FAA and I flew professionaly and now control. Being an FAA employee I gotta disagree with that quote.

Scottsdale FSDO

I had an experience similar to Bobbysamd's experience with the Scottsdale FSDO over a year in getting my gold seal CFI. Long story short, I was in and out in less than 30 mins with my gold seal certificate. I had all my paperwork and certificates with me which made the experience go well. The inspector and secretary were both really cool and laid back. I wasn't expecting it to be as easy and laid back as it was.

It seems like it definetly just depends on the office you go to.
:cool:

Latest resources

Back