rotary vs. fix wing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good advice...

it seems that in my experience when guys start asking questions about the warrant officer program on message boards they already have their mind made up. i've seen questions like this posted on a number of different message boards but i don't think i've ever seen anybody change their mind about joining up, even after hearing all the negative info.

you have received a lot of good advice on this thread and i sincerely hope you take it to heart. discuss it with your wife/family before you do anything and commit yourself to what could be the most miserable seven years of your life.

good luck!

So what to do?
I am unemployed right now with no other perspective. I can be a truck driver, do you think it will be better than military life?? I don't think so separation and live in bad places is about the same and I will be on this chaotic trafic all the time.
How to get a bachelors degree free?? any idea?? because I don't have one I just have a equivalent to associate degree.
and how to compete equally if I am foreign with no military background?
I thank you guys for all information I really don't wanna go but I need to feed my kids and I have no money to do that in short time.
Any other ideas? I am really open, like I said I don't wanna go they are harresting me to go and I am not seeing any other light in the tunnel.
I have been applying for about 100 jobs last month the majority of them I never received any answer some I received an application form but they always invited somebody else for interview but me.
And I know military background helps a lot to get an iterview they always have some preference for military backgrounds

I understand your position and maybe the military will be your best option but just think about this. Right now the airline industry is in a turndown. What will it be like a year or two from now? If you go Army it won't matter because you will likely be just finishing woc school in Ft Rucker and be starting that 6 year committment. Think about how old you will be when that obligation is over. What are your options at that time? Maybe you will need to deliver pizza's for awhile to feed you family but at least you can pursue civilian avation when the industry starts hiring again. As far as school goes, enlist in the National Guard (you may want to explore other banches if you go this route). You will make a little cash, get college money and not become obligated to the Army for 6 or 7 years. Do you live near an active army base? Go to a unit and talk to some warrants that are your age. I hate to sound so negative on the military buts it's not just a job, it is a complete lifestyle and one that cannot be changed for years once you start.

If you want to fly helos, you might want to consider the Coast Guard. They're hiring and will send you through Navy Pilot Training as an Ensign. All CG, Marine & Navy pilots go through the same syllabus for the first stage of flight training, so if you change your mind and want to stay fixed wing, you can go C-130 or HU-25. The helo options are HH-60 and HH-65. For the most part the duty locations are pretty good and the deployments are more palatable that DOD.

Hi 80drvr,
I think you lost something here I have no universtity degre and 34 years old coast guard don't even car about my existence without the requirements.

Latest resources

Back