• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Roof Collapses at Dulles Jet Center

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's gonna be some carpet dancing in the coming weeks as the design-loads are reviewed and cross-referenced with what the engineers and architects specified!

There's gonna be some carpet dancing in the coming weeks as the design-loads are reviewed and cross-referenced with what the engineers and architects specified!

Dulles Jet Center is an EagleSpan Aviation project, and each of its hangars is 40,000 sq ft.

Snow of average density weighs per 15lb/cubic foot; wet snow like was associated with this storm typically weighs more than that (variable on moisture content). 2006 Virginia Code requires a ground snow load of 25lb/sq ft and 18" of average snow would have been around 22.5 lb/sq ft. Given how wet this snow was and the total accumulation at IAD (32 inches!)...its entirely possible that these hangars were properly engineered & built to code, but with little "slack load" to spare this storm simply exceeded its limits.

But yeah, you can bet the Landow family & EagleSpan management/legal have been "discussions"...

Bad News for a Great Operation. Dulles Jet Center treated us great, and I hope they get back up and running?

From what I was told, 20+ planes damaged, some crushed. Not something this industry needed. If some companies don't replace their planes it will mean more guys being put on the street.

Bad News for a Great Operation. Dulles Jet Center treated us great, and I hope they get back up and running?

From what I was told, 20+ planes damaged, some crushed. Not something this industry needed. If some companies don't replace their planes it will mean more guys being put on the street.

Unfortunately this could be a great opportunity for some companies to get out from under an aircraft in a massive recession via an insurance claim.

A company I know lost a jet in a hangar due to a tornado and the insurance claim took forever because they wanted it totalled and the insurance company wanted it fixed. It was finally totaled and they upgraded big time.

Dulles Jet Center is an EagleSpan Aviation project, and each of its hangars is 40,000 sq ft.

Snow of average density weighs per 15lb/cubic foot; wet snow like was associated with this storm typically weighs more than that (variable on moisture content). 2006 Virginia Code requires a ground snow load of 25lb/sq ft and 18" of average snow would have been around 22.5 lb/sq ft. Given how wet this snow was and the total accumulation at IAD (32 inches!)...its entirely possible that these hangars were properly engineered & built to code, but with little "slack load" to spare this storm simply exceeded its limits.

But yeah, you can bet the Landow family & EagleSpan management/legal have been "discussions"...

deleted

From what I was told, 20+ planes damaged, some crushed.
Just 4 planes, although it was 3 Globals and a G5. Pictures from another website, courtesy of 'confidential' (Flight7).
Well three Global Express's including Eastman Kodaks, and a Gulfstream V of Hilton Hotels involved in hangar collapse at Dulles Jet Center over the weekend. Aircraft are Global Express XRS N89MX, Global Express N400GX and N620K, and Gulfstream V N585JC.
Dulles hanger collapse 1.jpg
Dulles1.jpg
Dulles2.jpg
Dulles3.jpg
Dulles4.jpg
Dulles6.jpg
Dulles7.jpg

Blame Al Gore

It is clear to me that Al Gore is to blame for this tragedy. Virginia code was updated in 2006. This is the same year that Al Gore's movie "An Inconvenient Truth" was released. It seems clear to me that after seeing the movie, the powers that be in Virginia relaxed their standards for snow loading after coming to the logical conclusion that it was unlikely to ever snow in Virginia again.

If you are looking for somewhere to lay the blame for this incident (lawyers are you listening) then obviously the blame lies with Al Gore.

Latest resources

Back