Rono Dutta blames UAL Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ironwedge

Some things never change. If you want to know what Rono had for lunch and other spewage - read this. NEWS STORY

Memorable quotes:

"...I ask him what forced him to quit the hot seat in UA and why did he fail to turn it around? Dutta blames it on labour. He says he put together a scheme to reduce costs by $2 billion, which meant everyone had to take an average salary cut of 30 per cent..." "...The board was filled with representatives of unions as they owned equity in the company and they thought it was crazy. I had no option but to call it quits� says Dutta. He also started a low-cost airline for UA. It ran well until the pilots said they needed to be paid more and that was the end..."

Yeah right

I guess Rono failed to mention that he hated the Shuttle because it's management was seperate from mainline and he didn't get to control it. He whined for the ability to use a/c other than the 737 for it, got in contract 2000 and never used it. Once his buddy Goodwin got the helm, he was able to start the process of dismantling Shuttle. Pre 9/11 they had already started blending Shuttle and Mainline ID's, by changing the flight numbers on the pairings but not on the tickets. He was already negotioting to end the Shuttle and make everyone mainline pre 9/11, and just shut it all down afterwards creating an almost useless fleet of galleyless airplanes. He also forgot to mention his role in the Airways merger attempt, Avolar, MyPoints.com. Jet India or wherever he is now will have a ball with him.

RONO DUTTA can ki$$ my arse!

He is the reason those 2 airlines are where they are at.

Last edited:
Rono can point the finger at labor all he wants. However, there is not a soul inside or outside the airline industry, whether they are pro or anti-labor, that has anything good to say about his performance as an executive. That is really all that needs to be said about him.

I really got a kick out of the story about Rono being responsible for selling off a chucnk of the 727 / DC10 spare parts inventory before he reached the executive ranks. Within 10 days, UA had a 727 with a busted windshield and UA no longer had any spares. So, they called up a guy in Miami that had just bought the spares from UA. He quoted triple the price he had just bought them for 10 days earlier. And, he got that price. Way to go Rono.

iflyhigh said:
Ron Dutta:

Is the moron that said there is no money in cargo either. What a jerk.

He was right, there was NO MONEY IN CARGO. At least not the way he managed it. The way the freighter and the ANC domicile was supported...it never had a chance. Way to go Rono.

You sure this guy didn't work for TWA under Icahn...? :rolleyes: TC

On the day the UA/US merger was announced, I was working as a OPBCM controller for UA (flight crew controller), on the ORD B767 desk.

The day it was announced, Rono was walking around the OPB floor, and asking what people thought of the US/UA Merger, and how it was going to be good for both airlines.

I didnt know who he was at the time (knew the name, but to me he was another Indian (dot, not feather), at UAL), and when I was asked, I told him I thought it was the most asinine thing I had heard. I recalled a graphic in the "Our Times" UA employee newspaper couple of months before, that showed all of the representative costs per seat mile for the majors; everyone was hovering around 7-8 cents/mile, and US was way up there at over 11 cents/mile. I said that I couldnt see how the fuzzy math lined up to make that 11 cents/mile attractive to anyone.

When I said I thought it was the most asinine thing I had heard, his look of sheer "what do I say now" was priceless. Instead he turned, and just walked away. I got a talking to from my supervisor (you dont say stuff like that to the boss), but I claimed ignorance.

I got the impression that he was a complete and total idiot - perfect for UAL upper management, especially in the Goodwin era.

Latest resources

Back