Rjdc

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Palerider957

Can anyone tell me what's going on with the RJDC? Someone said the coalition has run out of money and ground to a halt. Also, what exactly is the remedy the RJDC is seeking? I know the basic of the argument, I just need someone to elaborate. Thanks!

Palerider957 said:
Can anyone tell me what's going on with the RJDC? Someone said the coalition has run out of money and ground to a halt.

We can only hope. I find it very unlikely though.

Also, what exactly is the remedy the RJDC is seeking? I know the basic of the argument, I just need someone to elaborate. Thanks!

The RJDC seeks the complete elimination of scope from mainline contracts. Basically, RJDC supporters think it is completely OK for DAL mgmt to transfer 737, MD88, etc flying to CMR/ASA. They think that DALPA is limiting their "career potential" by scoping them out of flying this equipment.

In addition to the destruction of scope, the RJDC wants to get cash rewards for all CMR/ASA pilots who they say have been hurt financially by DAL scope. I believe the amount asked for in the lawsuit is 2 million each. Of course, that amount of money would bankrupt ALPA and destroy our great union.

Note: The RJDC has not filed any lawsuits directly. Mr. Ford has filed the lawsuit and is supported by the RJDC.

Don't expect an unbiased post from someone who's portrait is that of an anti-RJDC logo. That being said, I think you'll be hard pressed to find an unbiased account of what's actually going on. Everybody has an opinion, so take EVERYTHING you hear with a grain of salt. If you're looking for the actual truth, I wouldn't ask for it on a message board.

One more thing:

I wouldn't expect an intelligent post from someone who has a picture of a cross-eyed Homer either!:D

Miler:

Point taken. If the basic premis is that ALPA is screwing RJ guys (and E120, ATR, etc, etc) then I can understand the basis for the law suit.

PCL,

You sound all full of fire and brimstone. I can only guess you have a father, big brother, or the like up at the majors. I've heard some say the RJDC is only for senior guys at regionals who want to stay there....well, we're all going to stay at the regionals for quite some time it looks like. We need to make the best of it and that will unfortunately include litigation from time to time.

ALPA will only be assessed the $2 million penalty if they are found to be wrong by a court...in that case they ARE wrong. The lawsuit may just end up like the NFL/USFL anti-trust case with a $1 dollar award.

What I've heard around the lounge is that regionals will stay with ALPA until the RJDC is settled, then eject from ALPA and create some kind of regional airline pilots union....call me stupid, but it sounds good to me. Regional pilots negotiating contracts for regional pilots. ALPA was always a mainline thing, it seems there is an inherent conflict mainline/regional.

Flame away, I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts..

Don't worry about pcl. What he says sounds so incredible that nobody belives him anyway. The RJDC is not about eliminating scope, it's about making scope inclusive to the whole airline. They simply want their common union to follow the laws of our country, and it's own charter. They have to give fair treatment to ALL of it's members, and not discriminate based on the size of the aircraft a pilot flies.

No, they are not out of money and it isn't ending. They recently had a court appearance, where ALPA asked for the suit to be thrown out. The RJDC was asking to add 300+ new plaintiffs. The judge has not ruled on either of these motions yet.

I personally think that if the rjdc wins it's case, the resulting situation will be better for BOTH mainline and regional pilots as well as the companies they work for. ALPA will be forced to do their job for both groups, and it will be a change for the better for any airline that has regional partnerships. I don't understand why so many people are angry at someone for fighting for their rights, but I am glad that I work for an airline that isn't afraid of the big boys. Its time for things to change.

Good luck to all.

Skydriver:

Well reasoned and logical.....I too think some things need to change. I don't know that ALPA will ever really and truly negotiate for regionals fairly. ALPA's heart will always lie with mainline, I don't fault them for this as mainline built ALPA. BUT, if ALPA is going to represent us they need to do it fairly and aggressively.

If someone came forward with a proposal to leave ALPA and go with a solely regional pilots union, I think it would have a lot of support. Imagine Comair, ASA, ACA, Skywest, Mesa, etc., etc. all under one umbrella...that would be a very powerful force. A force that might actually do something about regional wages (which we all know to be absurd), work rules and the like.

Some would argue the RJDC will harm a pilots chance to go mainline, but if everone sticks together--there is safety in numbers.

Re: Re: Rjdc

PCL_128 said:

The RJDC seeks the complete elimination of scope from mainline contracts.

That is a false statement.

Basically, RJDC supporters think it is completely OK for DAL mgmt to transfer 737, MD88, etc flying to CMR/ASA. They think that DALPA is limiting their "career potential" by scoping them out of flying this equipment.

That is another false statement.

In addition to the destruction of scope, the RJDC wants to get cash rewards for all CMR/ASA pilots who they say have been hurt financially by DAL scope.

That is your third false statement.

You are more than welcome to disagree with whatever you can't understand or whatever you don't understand or whatever you won't understand. You are also welcome to oppose whatever you do understand, which I submit is very little, but disagree with.

If you have a credible argument voice it. It is not necessary to make false statements. You only need to lie when you have no legitimate credible argument or when your own credibility is highly questionable. Both are evidenced by your posts on this issue.

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is scope hurts everyone involved. Majors who are forced to fly empty airplanes to the middle of nowhere loose money on routes where a CRJ would be profitable. In the long run this hurts major pilots more than letting regionals fly more jets. Regional pilots who are happy with a regional career are also hurt, as their company's growth is stunted by this draconian rule. It all boils down to this: The only way the majors are gonna make any money is to trim the fat, and the best way to trim the fat is to pack a 50 seat jet with pax instead of piling 50 people onto a 130 seat airplane. Sure, the regionals need the majors to survive, but it's looking more and more like the majors are becoming dependant on the regionals...

What do you guys think about a separate Regional Pilots union??

Latest resources

Back