RJDC What does this mean?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RM7599

I'm am somewhat ignorant when it comes to this whole RJDC thing. What exactly does it mean. Does it mean, that it will be next to impossible for a regional pilot to make it to the majors? This has always been somewhat of a stepping stone.....now, will there be no way to make it to the majors. I don't want to be stuck at the regionals my entire career. Yes, I realize that it is not that easy to make it to the majors, but, now are my hopes and dreams even further compounded by this RJDC thing. I'm not trying to start a flame, I simply don't understand the ramifications of this.

Why don't you ask the RJDC on their web site?

I do not know what you are quoting from, or what you are writing about. If this is the conclusion of some sort of statistical analysis the answer will be on the RJDC site - most of their research is published.

www.rjdefense.com

I would suggest that you find your info from a less biased source than the rjdc's website. I'll be kind and say that the information you will find there is less than, shall we say...universally accepted. Believe it or not, this board is a more balanced source of info. I agree with your premise, and have posted the reasons herein. Others disagree, and have done the same. Read past posts, the rjdc's site, alpa's site, and talk to all the pilots you can. Then decide.

It would be unwise to get all of your info from an obviously biased source like rjdc.org (done on purpose, I can't bring myself to advertise for them).

Last edited:
I'm just a guy who is about to begin my flight training now that I have completed college, and I'm just curious as to how this might affect my goal of flying for the majors. I'm not affiliated with anyone or anything, it's just me.

Well now I better understand you inquiry. In all probability the RJDC means little to nothing in your quest to become a "major airline pilot" however you define that term.

The market will set pilot employment requirements - regardless of what ALPA, or the RJDC, may do.

RM,

I disagree with fins, and believe that the rjdc, if successful, will mean far fewer of the types of jobs that most pilots dream of.

Some disagree with me (of course). It is for that reason that I advised you to gather your info from a variety of sources before you decide.

Best of luck in your career.

Fly Delta's Jets:

How would repairing ALPA's representational problems result in fewer mainline jobs?

If pilots at the non ALPA preferred airlines were given the same representation, perhaps the standard would be raised.

In any event, before you misrepresent the RJDC as being anti - scope, the RJDC is pro scope. Scope is absolutely necessary as the glue that binds the company to the contract.

What the RJDC is against is the sort of predatory bargaining the US Airways MEC just engaged in, where one group of pilots uses the exclusive bargaining agent status of the union to harm other pilot groups. The RJDC correctly opines that equal representation would go a long way to thwart the abuse of the union that is currently going on.

Last edited:
If you want to find out more about the rjdc, just look up the posts made by Surplus1, and flydeltasjets. That will give you what we feel is both sides of the story. The rjdc website is a good place to start, since there is no opposing website to look at. They also have email so you can send them questions. Both sides are available. Good luck.

RM7599:

If your just starting you flight training my friend, I wouldn't worry about the RJDC right now. Concentrate on your ratings and getting the time and experience for a airline job or corporate.

Berst of luck

~~~^~~~ said:
Fly Delta's Jets:

How would repairing ALPA's representational problems result in fewer mainline jobs?

If pilots at the non ALPA preferred airlines were given the same representation, perhaps the standard would be raised.

In any event, before you misrepresent the RJDC as being anti - scope, the RJDC is pro scope. Scope is absolutely necessary as the glue that binds the company to the contract.

First of all, I don't agree that any carrier receives different "representation".

Secondly, the rjdc is NOT pro-scope (in my opinion, of course). The language of their lawsuit asks a judge to enjoin ALPA from supporting contract which "exercises control over another pilot group." Show me a single scope clause in the country that doesn't exercise some control over another pilot group. That is the very purpose of scope, to try to prevent another pilot group from doing your flying. I believe that if the rjdc is successful, it will lead to attacks on all scope clauses, using this case as precedent. I have said this before, and will probably say it again, but I believe that it is naive to think that you can eliminate only the scope which you deem offensive, without putting ALL scope in jeopardy. So yes, I do believe the rjdc is anti-scope. That might not be their intent, but I think it will be the result (if they win, which I doubt).

Also, if you read the lawsuit you will find that if it is successful, you will have eliminated our ability to keep mgt from operating 777's at CMR. This may sound good to you now, but wait until you see the effects of the bidding war that will create.

Latest resources

Back