• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RJ FO Minimums for Cargo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
your an old dog and it amazes me that u want to continue running your mouth! this is probably what u do in critical phases of flight not to mention alienating your crew with your stupid jokes which in my opinion show your insecurity! about what? this type of stuff reminds me of a DO I once had whom loved to belittle his crew and tell them how stupid they were. I guess maybe this made him feel taller being he was only 5 feet

Sorry Kids

Hi Kids,
I'd like to apologize on behalf of my cargo buddies for offending you. As you know, we cargo pilots at Fedex, UPS, Atlas, World, etc. and others are a bit un-refined. As you probably imagine: we don't do pre-flights, use checklists, or have any use for CRM, standardization, or any of that nonsense. Were just building time....hoping to get on with the majors......maybe even fly commercial someday. I'm sure you might get in the door with lower minimums with some RJ experience. Come on over.
Of course we don't fly 777's or 747's international to places you lads couldn't find on a map and we'll never make as much $$ as that guy at United but, Hell, ....You've got to pay your dues right..? Come on over kids, We'd be glad to have ya.
DP

A better response

Sorry for hijacking this area but I just needed to ask a simple question about RJ pilots coming over to a Southern, Evergreen, Atlas,etc., what would the minimums typically need to be at to be hirable?

Thanks in advance.

Wuberoo,

I think you will find that the hiring minimums will be comparable to the rest of the industry with the exception of UPS and FEDEX. These two will probably require higher minimums than the rest of the industry when they begin hiring because they are the highest paying and offer the best lifestyle.

I have flown both passenger and cargo and really enjoyed both, here are the pros and cons of flying cargo in my opinion:

PROS:
You will get to see the World
Big Airplanes
Professional, Experienced Int'l Crews
Large Blocks of Time Off
Higher than average pay
Home Basing and/or Jumpseat Protection (most carriers)

CONS:
Longer trips away from home
Back side of the clock / Long trips across multiple time zones
Older Equipment - Not always
The Coolness Factor - Don't get to be the cool pilot poser dude on the jetway in ATL.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best in your career.

DP

Hey DP,

Thanks for your info about my question. I am a 41 yr old kid changing careers and this is my ultimate goal to fly international on 747 but not so much w/ pax. I understand that I have a-lot of things ahead of me and I know that industries change - especially airlines!!!! Anyway, thanks again.

wuberoo,

The "kid" thing was mostly directed towards the flaming incoherent responses that you received to your post - sorry.

As you mentioned, this industry is going to change and probably for the better. We are already seeing some hiring and in a couple of years retirements will start again. A regulatory change in duty times next year hopefully will create more jobs for experienced pilots. Many of the furloughed pilots are already flying for other carriers or have left the industry for other opportunities. There is a good article over on Airline Pilot Central on this if you haven't seen it.

Flying 121 in a modern aircraft like you are will put you in a great spot when the demand kicks in. When there is a demand once again, minimums will probably go down although hopefully never as low as they were a few years ago.

Best of Luck,

DP

wuberoo,

The "kid" thing was mostly directed towards the flaming incoherent responses that you received to your post - sorry.

As you mentioned, this industry is going to change and probably for the better. We are already seeing some hiring and in a couple of years retirements will start again. A regulatory change in duty times next year hopefully will create more jobs for experienced pilots. Many of the furloughed pilots are already flying for other carriers or have left the industry for other opportunities. There is a good article over on Airline Pilot Central on this if you haven't seen it.

Flying 121 in a modern aircraft like you are will put you in a great spot when the demand kicks in. When there is a demand once again, minimums will probably go down although hopefully never as low as they were a few years ago.

Best of Luck,

DP
Wasn't the Experienced Pilot Act of 2007 supposed to create those jobs for the experienced pilots?

I would like to pose a question because of a statement I heard today. I would rather ask this question here because of the age of most of the pilots here.
With all this crap that is going on w/ the TSA, would it cause an major pax airline to lose enough money to have to be the next bail out victim of the government?
Just wanting to hear your opinions if you have one about this.

DP-thanks again for your info about cargo flying.

Latest resources

Back