• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RIP AirTran. Nostalgia thread

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airtran might not have been the nicest to work for, but the people I worked with made it fun and enjoyable.

This was my experience at the 7 airlines I've worked for prior to SW. At SW, at least up until the last few years, even the company was nice to work for. Now, it's getting like all the rest.

5/20......

Definitely Humpty's for me. Awesome nightly train wrecks to watch and/or participate in. I woke up late for the van once at 4:30...PM.

The 717 was a fond memory as well. Easy automation, almost to the point of boredom. PROF actually did its job with accuracy. If the runway was visible off the nose your chances of landing on that runway were 99%. The 73 is MUCH easier to land smoothly (consistently) though.

The biggest thing, I guess, were the people. Most everyone being based together meant you knew each other, and I'm not just talking about first names. Lots of great times were spent with co-workers outside of work as well, especially if you lived in "base housing" or near the city.

An original SWA flight attendant asked me how I knew so many crew members in the terminal, having been on the property for such a short amount of time? I answered, because we were a family, dysfunctional and great, all at the same time. That was my experience anyway. Everyone takes away something different, but in my opinion, Southwest lucked into a helluva great group of people to work with. From my short tenure at SWA, I think the AirTran peeps lucked into a similar group as well. [emoji482]

Right out of Gary's mouth," And very importantly, it allowed us to grow and grow profitably over a time when we could not have done it otherwise. We would not be enjoying the results we have achieved this year and over the last couple years without AirTran. "

Best wishes

Unlike another poster, We always rode Air Tran 2-3 times per year for the last 10 years. I can honestly say I never had a bad ride. Air Tran was always my first choice. Thanks to all the professionals who made riding in the back a pleasant experience. Most memorable flight.... Departing KICT and the Captain played the Harmonica as he welcomed everyone aboard. Watching someone have fun at work is contagious. Best wishes to all the employees.

We can all joke and we can all poke some sone fun but in the end we are all pilots with one thing in mind, and that is a great career with many great memories. Just finished up a two day with a "tranny". one of the best pilots I ever flew with. Thank you all, Sammy, Jonathon, Tom, Rich, and the other 40 I have flown with. Hope to make friends with many more. A toast to you today.

Thank you for the AirTran FA that worked an ATL-RIC flight I was commuting home on about 10 years ago for being bored on an overnight. Also the AirTran FA that I met at Faneuil Hall about 9 years ago. A few good nights not forgotten.

Latest resources

Back