• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Right seat time building?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I called the Feds over this years ago. I was told if you are typed in the aircraft and you are soul manipulator of the controls then you are the PIC in the feds eyes. I called FSDO's and DC and they all said the same thing.

I called the Feds over this years ago. I was told if you are typed in the aircraft and you are soul manipulator of the controls then you are the PIC in the feds eyes. I called FSDO's and DC and they all said the same thing.

For pilot time logging purposes the feds told you correctly. But, the actual PIC of the flight as (defined in FAR 1) does not shift to the flying pilot unless agreed to by all concerned including the legal operator of the aircraft. There's no serious argument that the regulations do not permit both a FAR 1 PIC and a rated sole manipulator to log PIC time. But, the concern of some is that while "sole manipulator" PIC time is legal, it isn't a true reflection of command experience.

Last edited:
Here comes my .02

All the FAA cares about is you have to log:

1. Recent experience for things like 3 take offs and landings during day / nite to carry pax unless your operator has a waiver

2. IFR stuff to be current unless your operator has a waiver

3. Your experiance to get a rating or certificate (TT, XC, Nite, ect)

After that you can log the time you drive a car and recipes for apple pie.

The only other two reasons to keep a log book is to show a potential employer and personal reasons (I simply like the idea that I know exactly how many hours I've flown and where I've been.) As far as the potential employer is concerned I can't imagine they would agree that a typed FO "manipulating the controls" is quality PIC time so for that reason I don't log it. When I'm an FO I log SIC. When I'm a Captain I log PIC. Seems simple enough.

How's the back? I like ibuprophen, but I'm sure just rest is good...
Hope it gets better.

Last edited:
Here is the real scoop on logging time.

PIC can be logged one of two ways.

The captain in command of the flight - and only he - can log PIC under FAR 1. The FO can log SIC under FAR 1.

Reference FAR 1.1
The sole manipulator of the controls - either captain or FO - can log PIC under FAR 61.

Reference FAR 61.51

My suggestion is that if an FO chooses to log TPIC under FAR 61, that you also log the time under FAR 1 SIC. I keep a separate column labeled "FAR 61 TPIC." I have never had any problems or questions from an interviewer about this, but be aware that the requirements for some companies specifically list a certain amount of FAR 1 PIC time.

This is what the FARs and the FAA say. If anyone tells you anything different, ask them for a reference.

61.51 applies to the purpose of logging flight time towards a higher certificate or rating. At this point, it's irrelevant because both pilots are type rated ATPs. The only purpose for "logging PIC" time at this point is resume building in which case most employers will be asking for your time according to FAR 1.
NETJETS will be tracking time according to FAR 1.

How's the back? I like ibuprophen, but I'm sure just rest is good...
Hope it gets better.

Wow, news travels fast. Back still hurts but I am hopeful to get home tomorrow.

Here's a tip for anyone seeking medical attention in Danville, VA.

...don't.

I went to the fricken hospital ER with a bum back. Not one doctor or RN or anyone even looked at it. They took my blood pressure and pulse for 4 hours, but not one examination. They did, however, give me a prescription for drugs so I guess it wasn't a complete waste.

Latest resources

Back