• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

right seat of T-prop to left seat RJ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Tri-Holer, that's pretty impressive... Ercoupe to 727 FO with only 1100hrs... I had about 5200hrs and went from a C402 to a 727... and I thought I was holding on to the tail of a rocket for the first 30 hours or so eventhough I had a year in the thing flying sideways... Anyway, from there went to right seat of a CRJ and I'll tell you what, the RJ is a tougher airplane to fly and has a higher workload for the pilots without the FE in the back reading all the checklists! Better stay on the conservative side and get some time in an RJ before flying as a Captain... Then again, you must take every oportunity to upgrade!
Tough call, but guys are doing it all the time. It can be done if you put 100% into it but I would never say "no problem".

Last edited:
I dunno

I have personally watched many individuals fail the upgrade training and then put in the right seat for a while. Some have been forced back into the original position they came from. When most airlines have a two bust rule for the whole time you are with the company, I personally am going to go to the RJ for at least 4-5 months and then upgrade. My thinking is that coming from a very big, slow turbo prop to a very sofisticated piece of machinery, I would have learned some of the things that will bite you in the arse that the training department doesn't tell you. I will only be out of training for a few months and right back into it again as a left seater. I have just seen to many turboprop guys bust, many are Captains allready! Ya, I know it could imply something about our training departement, but personally I would not take the chance. Although I have just been recalled off of retirement back into the military, this was my original plan. When I come back in a few years, it will still be my plan, but even more justified as I will have to relearn all of the company rules, procedures, etc.. Anyway, good luck in what ever your outcome will be.;)

One question for you, does your EMB-120 have much glass or an FMS? I transitioned from the Dork prop to the CRJ and it was pretty simple, but I had previous all glass cockpit and FMS experience, so it was pretty much just some differences between the new equipment and old, and the jet. The only real difference in flying is you have to plan your descents/airspeed reductions a little more carefully, and approaches with the nose pointed at the ground take a little getting used to!

The checkairman who did my IOE said that people coming from the 328 prop seemed to do better than those coming from the 146 (jet) because of the glass experience. The speed/altitude tapes and all the info available to you takes some time to digest.

anyhow, just a little more food for thought.

RR

F.W.I.W,

I went from left seat of the EMB120 to left seat CRJ, never flew the RJ as an FO, had zero jet time before I started training. I had no problems getting through training, and found the CRJ to be a MUCH easier airplane to fly than the EMB120.

As a side note, when I was an EMB120 Capt, I flew with an FO who went EMB FO to CRJ Capt. He said he had no problems either, and is currently flying left seat in the CRJ.

As previous posters have stated, guys do it all the time, all it takes is a little hard work.

Personally, if I were you I'd go for RJ Capt, if for no other reason than you don't have to explain Secondary Low Pitch Stops and Beta valves in the type oral.

I agree with CRJ200FO - I have seen guys in Australia go from Saab340 to CRJ and find the going tough - I think one needs some time in the right seat of a jet before going to the left.- if only for the reason that sectors are short, workload can be high etc etc.

Donut,

I presume we are at the same carrier. I know of exactly ONE who has gone from Brasilia FO to jet captain and she did quite well. I think it is a VERY risky move to make because of our up or out policy. Good luck, either way.

Like EagleATR says, you'll have experienced FO's who will be more than willing to help you. I've flown ATR left and right seat, RJ right seat, and now the Saab as a Captain. Never flew right seat in it. FO's have been great helpin' me out. I always tell them to "watch me like a hawk" and they do. If they know you're open to suggestions, believe me, you'll get suggestions!!!

I say go for it. You'll do fine.

Thanks to everyone who put in their two cents--I still have time to think it all over, or maybe they'll run some e120 upgrade classes and all my problems will be over (fingers crossed). Either way, it really helps to have input from everyone to help me think things over. Stay safe.

Latest resources

Back