• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Riding on USAir

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, I commuted to work today on US Air. Rode on mainline first leg (A320), then an RJ run by PSA.

I got a complaint and would like to see what ya'll think:

Where do they get off making me sit through a five and a half minute "infomercial" for their stupid USAir MasterCard?

I don't think it's fair that they lock you into a metal tube and FORCE you to listen to an advertisement for their crap. I can't think of any other place where it's okay to force someone to listen to your commercial. If I'm watching TV and an ad comes on I can change channels or even turn it off. If I'm at the movies and a commercial is in the trailers I can at least walk out. Printed ads I can simply ignore. My point is I have options.

How is it okay for them to put you in a place where you can not escape and blast their nonsense over the PA?

Oh, and that's another point. It's the PA right? Every flight they tell you that "FAA regulations REQUIRE ALL passengers to comply with crewmembers instructions". So now it's a federal law that I listen to their infomercial? How is that right?

Who could you even complain to? USAir? Master Card? The FAA? My congressmen? Some advertising watchdog group? I don't know, I just don't think it's right. There should be a law.

So, what do ya'll think?

I agree 100%. I hate riding on USair. They have a captive audience and they force you to listen to that crap. Its not a simple little commercial, its a 15 minute intrusive pitch that they force on you. I also feel sorry for the FA's that have to pitch that crap.

Ipods or Bose headsets work well. They also work well for crying babies and overly-chatty pax. Those distractions are part of the reason why your fractional companies have done well in the past with higher-income demographic - avoid annoyances.

I agree that USAirways does have the worst service of any major.

The $5 or $7 "snack box" is what I have a hard time with. At least the soda is still free.

On the bright side, my ride home last week was on a mainline E190. Gotta love those E-jets with their bigger seats. Verrry nice. Comfy, even.

I agree 100%. I hate riding on USair. They have a captive audience and they force you to listen to that crap. Its not a simple little commercial, its a 15 minute intrusive pitch that they force on you. I also feel sorry for the FA's that have to pitch that crap.

Don't feel to sorry for the FA's pitching this stuff they get paid for every app they get approved, they are making money off the "captive" audience.

Where do they get off making me sit through a five and a half minute "infomercial" for their stupid USAir MasterCard?

Right there with ya. Alaska recently started this as well, and I'm just as irritated with it. (That's a shame, too, as I really enjoy their product otherwise.) Minor in the grand scheme of things these days, as others have said, but it's still very irritating.

The Bose headset has been worth its price many times over in keeping my sanity.

At least the commercial distracts you from looking at people board that should be taking greyhound instead.

You're not safe over here either, a loco called Ryanair do "death by PA" - it is very hard to differentiate sometimes between essential information or sales pitch - "Ladeees 'n gennelmen, we will be lannin' soon at London Loootin, so please return to yaw seeets & fassen your seeet belts & yeew can still buy discounted train tickets from a crew member...."

They also have a wide variety of European crew so some of the accents are very difficult to understand, much more so than regional UK speech!

So, I commuted to work today on US Air. Rode on mainline first leg (A320), then an RJ run by PSA.

I got a complaint and would like to see what ya'll think:

I don't think it's fair that they lock you into a metal tube and FORCE you to listen to an advertisement for their crap. I can't think of any other place where it's okay to force someone to listen to your commercial. If I'm watching TV and an ad comes on I can change channels or even turn it off. If I'm at the movies and a commercial is in the trailers I can at least walk out. Printed ads I can simply ignore. My point is I have options.

How is it okay for them to put you in a place where you can not escape and blast their nonsense over the PA?

Oh, and that's another point. It's the PA right? Every flight they tell you that "FAA regulations REQUIRE ALL passengers to comply with crewmembers instructions". So now it's a federal law that I listen to their infomercial? How is that right?

Who could you even complain to? USAir? Master Card? The FAA? My congressmen? Some advertising watchdog group? I don't know, I just don't think it's right. There should be a law.

So, what do ya'll think?

Do this glass. Next time your passing one of their stands in the terminal that offers their credit card, stop and take the time to fill one out. Only don't use your real name and numbers. Use fake info then take the free gift. Back in 2001 when I was flying for a US Air I did that one time. I filled out a form while in civilian clothes and then picked the little bear with the goggles and leather jacket. Took it home and gave it to my little girl. :)

I have a standing rule... If I can drive from A - B in six hours or less, and scheduling does not care, I'm in a Avis car.

I have been to kindergarten piano recitals more pleasant than flying the airlines.

Latest resources

Back