• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Riddle me this Batman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Blue. No yelloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow...

According to the creators of the waveform editing program Cool Edit Pro, Syntrillium Software, there is no significant difference in the characteristics of the African or European swallow.

These fans make this little tidbit appear as one of the "daily tips" that pop up when the program is opened on the desktop.

You just never know when a Python fan will show himself...

" 'ow did 'e know that????" :D

Was this a poll?

Seriously, I didn't see any information regarding how long it took the second airplane to fly back to the balloon. Without that piece of info it's unsolvable.

slide33 said:
I agree with Goggles. Speed being the only criteria, you should have given the second plane's speed.

"An airplane releases a balloon that stays at that altitude over point A. It then flies outbound for 45 minutes when it passes another airplane at the same altitude going the same speed but in the opposite direction. (instant turn) The second plane makes a bee line from that passing directly to the balloon. It catches the balloon over point B on the ground. Points A and B are 75 nautical miles apart.

What is the wind speed at that altitude?"

Enigma had to assume that plane 2 was traveling the same speed as plane 1. What if plane 2 was traveling twice as fast as plane 1? Without mentioning plane 2's speed, it's just a swiss cheese riddle. . . . and I'm an Air Force Engineer.

No such assumption was required. I just carefully read the question. It seemed pretty simple, but then I learned most of what I know about flying from Naval Aviators. Thanks Commander Muetzel.

regards,
enigma

GogglesPisano said:
Seriously, I didn't see any information regarding how long it took the second airplane to fly back to the balloon. Without that piece of info it's unsolvable.
Well that's the missing piece if you try to solve it like Slide33 suggests. I said originally that the second plane was going the same speed.

So if D = r x t and all I give you is t, but not the rate, the Distance is immaterial. (Assuming some speed will necessitate some distance however.)

Now in the second part, the second plane has the same r as the first.

The missing piece of the puzzle is the concept of airmass. What is constant is the distance from the balloon to the passing of the airplanes.

Take two pieces of paper on a surface you can make an impression. Tape the first piece of paper down. This will be the ground. Put the second piece of paper over it. This will be the airmass. Press a point on both pieces of paper. This is the instance the balloon is released.

Now draw a ray (a line starting at a point) outward from the point in any direction while sliding the top paper across the bottom in any direction. Stop at any time before you run out of paper. This is the first airplane.

Now draw a line back to the point (basically retracing your first line) while moving the paper at the same rate in the same direction as before. When you reach the dot, stop moving the paper and impress another dot on top of the first.

Remove the second sheet of paper. You will now have two impressions on the lower sheet (the ground). These two points are 75 nm apart in the riddle. This is the D in D = r x t.

The upper sheet will have a double line of a given distance. In the riddle, it takes 45 minutes to do. Since the second airplane covers the same distance at the same rate, it also takes 45 minutes. So the total time is now 1 hour, 30 minutes. This is the t for D = r x t.

Now you can plug in the values and solve for r, the wind speed, or the scale rate you moved the second piece of paper. r = D / t or r = 75 nm / 1.5 hours, so r = 50 nm/hr.

If you drew your exercise so it didn't have a pure head or tailwind and transcribed the double airmass lines to the ground paper, you'd end up with some kind of triangle. (With a pure headwind or tailwind, you'd just have unequal lines.) This is the ground track of the two airplanes as the resultant vector between their reciprical velocity and the airmass velocity.

However, different in the ground track, the airmass distance both aircraft travel is the same as shown by the second piece of paper. This is the lesson every new pilot learns in landing an airplane in a cross wind, but we tend to forget that as we just mechanically fly the airplane to touchdown.

So the t for the second airplane is 45 minutes. Enigma inferred that, he did not assume it.

Last edited:
Not speed. Time. In other words, how much time did that 75 mile journey by the balloon take? Nowhere in the clue does it state that the second airplane arrived at the balloon 45 minutes after passing the first plane.

Is this what they call mental mastrubation? If it is, is it supposed to hurt?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back