Riddle me this Batman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bart said:
Well, we know the airplane flies into a headwind for 45 minutes and has a tailwind for 45 minutes and the plane catches the balloon 75 miles after that, but before I answer I would want more information:
No we don't.

First, the problem stated that the first airplane flew for 45 minutes before passing the second airplane flying the opposite direction. It does not state that the first airplane flew into a headwind or a tailwind. We have no way of determining this element of the problem.

Second, the problem does not say how long the second airplane flew after passing the first until it reached point B and "caught" the balloon. We have no way of knowing if the time was greater than 45 minutes, or less than 45 minutes. Only the assertion that the balloon moved between being dropped and caught leaves us to believe that the time was OTHER than 45 minutes.

Third, the problem contradicts itself. In the first sentence, it is stated that the balloon remains over point A. In the 4th and 5th sentences we find that the balloon has moved to a point some 75 miles away. Which is true? It remains in place, or it drifts at a rate EQUAL to the wind speed.

I would suspect that the poser of the question, who implies that he is more clever than engineers and Air Force types, might get a correct answer if he could determine a way to correctly ask the question.

:D

Last edited:
After plugging the question into Deep Thought, the answer is 42.

Edited

Last edited:
Re: Re: Riddle me this Batman

enigma said:
I hesitate to speak for fear of confirming that I am in fact a fool. However, I have to take a guess. The balloon traveled 75 miles in 90 minutes, giving a balloon speed of 50 knots.

regards,
enigma
Where did you get 90 minutes? Did you make an assumption?

I think he was thinking that if after the 1st plane dropped the ballon it flew for 45 minutes. Then the 2nd plane past head on with the 1st plane then found the ballon. Maybe if those planes were going the same speed that would have been 45 minutes from the dropping. Then 45 mins getting back to it. Assuming no wind. But wait.....that is the question.....hum:(

Wankel

42 is the answer.

Re: Re: Re: Riddle me this Batman

TonyC said:
Where did you get 90 minutes? Did you make an assumption?

Of course I assumed. I am neither AirForce, nor an engineer.

enigma

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back