• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reverse Thrust vs. Contaminated Runways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In this accident, the thrust reversers were supposed to be deployed upon touchdown (they were deployed 18 seconds after landing with 1000 feet remaining). Additionally, I wonder what the winds were? I heard there was a 13 knot tailwind on final that night... Don't know if there's any truth to that... Case in point, I'm still using reversers on a contaminated runway...

BLUE BAYOU said:
In this accident, the thrust reversers were supposed to be deployed upon touchdown (they were deployed 18 seconds after landing with 1000 feet remaining). Additionally, I wonder what the winds were? I heard there was a 13 knot tailwind on final that night... Don't know if there's any truth to that... Case in point, I'm still using reversers on a contaminated runway...
Pardon me if I misunderstood you:
I believe the NTSB isn't saying you shouldn't use them, they're saying you shouldn't use them in computing performance.

BLUE BAYOU said:

No one is suggesting that the reversers not be used. Just that they not be factored into the landing distance required on a contaminated runway. Any other references to what might have caused the SWA is pure speculation at best and should not be considered until after the NTSB report is out and all the facts are known.

BLUE BAYOU said:

This is only refering to the use of reverse in CALCULATING landing performance. I would also be inclined to have a hard look at takeoff performance as well sans-reverse if its tight.

We all "heard" something about that night. I landed there a little while before the crash, and I "heard" alot of things that didnt happen that night passed as fact. The best we can all do is to watch the NTSB website for factual information and give our very best to the people sitting behind us who hope we dont repeat a night like that....regardless of the color of your jet.

http://www.wvgazette.com/section/APNews/News/ap0785n

Thrust reversers typically deploy automatically -- six seconds or less after a plane's wheels touch the runway, said Paul Czysz, professor emeritus of aerospace engineering at Saint Louis University.

In this case, a computer used to calculate landing specifications "assumed they would go on immediately,'' he said.

Investigators haven't determined whether the pilots tried to deploy the thrust reversers manually, NTSB spokesman Keith Holloway said.

I'm sure glad they are talking to people that know what they are talking about. I had no idea they came out "automatically"...learning something new everyday.

Maybe the 737 is different but both "transport" category airplanes I have flown already calculate landing distance with out the use of reverse.

It is normally ground spoilers and max breaking.

It appears that these guys decided to use autobrakes and they weren't allowed to use them at that time and they also took their time deploying the thrust reversers. I think it might get my attention if I was landing on a slick, short runway, especially if I had a whole 30 foot pad. What is it with these Southwest guys and not being able to keep their aircraft on the airport property?

Latest resources

Back