Retiring NWA Captain Sums It Up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, you guys are harsh.

Anyway, to the OP, congrats on the retirement-you made it. Good luck!

[
ps: I will forward a short movie to some of you of my Northwest Uniform going up in smoke so no terrorist can ever use it. My Eastern Airlines uniform and my Navy uniform still hang proudly in my closet.....[/quote]
CS,
Have you seen this one?
I would give my left nut for your old job.
Dennis in Chicago

Sam told me a story. The young flight instructor is pounding the pattern in a basic trainer. Half watching his student and half thinking of getting a real flying job. Some twin-engine time, a little cross-country IFR. Boy would that be sweet, that would be real flying. Above him at 8,000 feet a freight-dog in a beat-up Beech Baron bounces along. Cursing the turbulence and the heat and the holes in the instrument panel, he thinks about one day getting a turbine job.​
At 18,000 feet the crew of a King Air are droning along on autopilot, enjoying the air-conditioned cockpit. But the noise and vibration of the propellers is annoying, and the turbine-twin will not climb out of all the weather. The lady PIC is close to a jet job, and keeps looking up above the tops of the building cumulus. At flight level 390 dinner is being served to the major airline captain. Life is sweet. But his schedule sucks again next month, stupid recurrent training, and the mustard for the steak is too spicy again. He looks out the windshield as a glint of sunlight catches his eye strangely above the horizon. "It's the space station," says the first officer. "Now that would be sweet."​
Floating over to a window, the astronaut looks down on the colorful blue and green quilt set amongst the void of space. A former fighter and test pilot, the Space Shuttle commander is picking out ground features as he orbits over middle America. "You see those two rivers, just east of the city?" he says. "There is a little airport down there. I first soloed in a Piper Cub right there."​
"Now that is real flying."​

Well I can not feel sorry for this person. I just got furloughed from a major airline after being there for a few years. I took a 30k pay cut! I now pay 400 a month for insurance for my wife and no more 401k no more pass privelages and no more 13 days off a month. I am now flying 35 year old lears that are not well maintained and now on the pager 24-7. I have 3 hard days off a month and no vacation for a year. So boo F#$@% who.

Sounds like you should go to Sears. You might pay less for insurance, have a better 401K, and have more than 3 days off per month.

Adios Skipper - glad I will not have to listen to your whining, when your generation voted to outsource nearly half your airline's flying while bumping the retirement age to 65. Those two moves cost the rest of the profession at least a decade on getting their 4th stripe..

"Look! A dead horse...let's go beat it!"

Latest resources

Back