• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Retirement plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fair enough, I'm still trying to figure how it ranks as "best" when others contribute more towards retirement per dollar earned than SWA does....

I suspect because that wasn't a criteria for evaluation.

As a SWA'er just said, it's "best" rating is because of it's diversity in 'investment options', NOT necessarily on the return.

To each their own.

I care about ROI for my 401k. I don't give two crapola's about how the industry ranks it....

And the industry doesn't really care about 'little ole' me anyway'.

;-)

Sometimes it's all about "SPIN".

Dan,
The legacies plans you refer to are mostly their "B" funds, and not just 401K's, so brightscope would not consider them in their rankings. Like someone else pointed out, this was done because the IRS limits are too low to capture the negotiated "b" fund contributions in a 401K.
Most of the legacies have a 401K open to all employees that are well run, but not nearly as generous, with only a 2-5% matching (I'm not sure what SWA's matching is at) but that would be what brightscope would be comparing to SWA's plan.

This year a DAL captain making $200K would get a company contribution of $28K into their selfdirected B fund and then they could get up to a $4000 match into their 401K account as well if they contributed. (the latter is all brightscope would be concerned with).

The BEST 401K in the world will never compete with our predecessors Defined Benefit (pension) plans in terms of generosity, but at least the B funds and 401K's are the pilots money and can never be lost in a BK or job change.
Aloha,
Luv

the HAL plan depends on the seniority or hire date of the pilot but in a nutshell, it's a B plan and 401K for the most senior, a 19.4% deposit with some other forumla applied to make it match the B fund for the mid senior guys, and anyone after 2007 is a straight 15% deposit....

Latest resources

Back