Retired SWA pool rats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Korchmar flight case

Korchmar is the way to go in my opinion if you're looking for a good quality leather flight case. I bought mine from the PilotHouse about a year or so after my brand new leather flight case from PurdyNeatStuff (or Things.....or whatever they call themselves now) literally started falling apart from minor wear and tear.

The PurdyNeat bag was a nice size, had an end pocket, and also included a small nylon zip bag inside, as well as sunglass cases, and pen holders. It also had really nice hard rubber skids on the bottom instead of the brass feet knobs. But after a year of normal use, the top flap came apart at the seam, and the end pouch came unstitched. After spending nearly 250 bucks for this bag, I vowed I'd never buy another one.

It seemed like most of the old-timers I was flying with were still using their original leather bags that they had from their probationary year. Seemed like they lasted forever. So I asked one CAP I was flying with one day what he had....he said it was a Korchmar case. Since I just wasn't ready to whip out the duct tape in just my second year with the airline, I retired the PurdyNeat sucker and bought a Korchmar flight case to replace it.....been real happy with it ever since.

Of course it's just been collecting dust for the last 2 years :rolleyes: since the furlough , but it's paid for.....and should last 'til retirement. I don't think anyone would go wrong with a Korchmar case.

Coop

question for any SWA guy. I start class Monday and was thinking about buying a cheap chart bag for the first 6 months or so while I peruse the Captain's Scott leather and Korchmar and what not before I spend three or four hundred. I saw that someone recommended a Scott jumbo but it comes in two widths, 7 and 8 inches. Which is the preferred size to fit in the 300/500s? will an 8 inch width bag fit fine or should I try to find a 7" one?

thanks.

coming to class Monday and the party Sunday, looking forward to getting to Dallas.

bigger is not always better....

I KNOW we all wish we could buy 8"....:D , however, the Scott 7" bag rocks!! Carrys the FOM, 2 Jeep binders & my 1" Jepp for that days charts... plus my head set and a few Clif Bars, sunglasses, flashlight... etc. Pay the extra $$$ and add the end pouch (sunglasses & flashlight) and the inside lid pocket ($50) for your pens, SWA schedule, Moose sheets and other misc. stuff you don't want floating around & ready for quick access.

I have had numerous Capt. typs asking me where I found the slim bag, and have ordered one for themselves too!!

Thanks everyone for the great info. Just a few more questions. Do we need to bring the checkbook for all this stuff?
Is the leather jacket payroll deducted ( I'm sure the rest of the uniforms are)? Also does a rep come in at some point to try to sell roller bags, flight cases, etc? Or are we pretty much on our own for the "optional stuff"? I guess we need to supply our own headset as well. Any suggestions that a new hire might be able to afford and a good fit for the 73? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Bring cash $$$$

Yes, they will take the cost of your uniforms via payroll deduct.... the standing joke is that you probably won't even have a +$0 balance on your 1st paycheck.

Company provides a Plantronics in-ear type headset. A guy will fit you with a custom ear piece for around $50. This thing will KILL your ear for about 3 weeks until you get a good callus going in there. I paid for all of my uniforms, leather jacket with my American Express card to get the points. They take all major cards, checks & payroll deduct for uniforms.

Yes, there will be MANY vendors showing up during the 1st couple of weeks. You will have plenty of choices for bags, ties, etc.

I have been dragging the CostCo bag around for 10 months now, it is holding up rather well. $93.00 out the door. If ANY part on the bag breaks, they take your bag and give you a brand new one off the shelf, no questions asked!! Why spend $350+ for a suitcase!?!?!

The Sennheiser noise cancelling headset I have used for 6+ years is a smart choice... the 737 "flightdeck" is very noisy - VERY NOISY! Here is a great place to buy factory refurbs, they look and work just like a new set for $100s less!! http://www.aviation-headset.com/products/FRH-HMEC45-KA.html

Happy shopping - welcome aboard!!!

boots?

Hey thanks for the great read on pub bags and suitcase bags. Our packet stated we needed to have a pub bag when we arrive to class...does this really mean they're not going to offer payroll deduction for the pub bags? I guess a vendor will still visit for the overnight bags, but that 737 stealth bag is highly recommended by a good FedEx bud. Also, no specific guidance on shoes....I love Justin boots and was wondering if the Aviator Boots they sell in Sporty's catalog were ok for uniform (black , of course) with no metal...
guess I'll whip out the Visa for the pub bag and see everyone in Big D on the 14th!

Les

PS- is everyone planning to fly home on the weekends or is anyone going to be around to hit BillyBobs or the golf course???

If ya work hard...ya gotta PLAY hard too!

I think what they're telling you is that you'll need a bag to get all the issue pubs from the training center to your hotel room on either the first or 2nd day. A small suitcase or medium-large backpack or two helmet bags or really any old bag of similar size will do fine, and you'll have ample time while you're going through ground school to buy a flight bag to use on the line. Unless things have changed since the January class, there's no need to arrive with your flight bag already in hand.

Don't know if they'll payroll deduct the flight bag or not.

As for fine footwear, black Ropers are ideal, and the Justin variety without metal is very popular. If you haven't bought yet, consider getting the higher rise ropers -- prevents pant cuffs from catching on the top of the boot when you get out of the seat. That with the rubber non-slip sole is probably what Sporty's offers, and lots of guys at SWA swear by their Ropers.

You probably know this, but "cowboy boots" with pointed toes are not permitted, but the rounded-toe Ropers are specifically allowed, and are common.

Congrats on starting class -- it's great to see you guys coming aboard!

Snoopy

Hey there! - I am going to get the korchman bag online so it will be one less thing to think about when training begins - my question is - should I get the 18 or the 20 inch? Never flown the 737 so I dont know which one is the hot tip out of those 2 sizes - any info from you 737 drivers would be appreciated. Thanks and see you all in DAL soon! - Nerf

I would suggest the 18 in bag. There's not much room for a large bag in the side panel. Even with a small bag, be prepared to BANG you'r elbows agains the side window during retreival. I did:)

Latest resources

Back