Retired guy needs another job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Inida Job

I just retired from active duty USAF (20 years plus one day). Is it possible for me to apply to/get hired by either a reserve or ANG unit? Is there a double-dipping consideration there as far as collecting retirement check and working for the gov again at the same time? Always looking for options!

I know 2 guys who tried but to no avail. I'm not sure if they reached a dead end or if they got sick of trying to get a waiver from God. One now flies for FDX and the other is a sim instructor. Good luck.

I think I may be one of the two. Either way, here is what I found in 2001:

You CAN serve in the reserve after retirement. For each day of duty you lose one day of retirement pay - but the tradeoff is negligible. Retirement pay is loose change compared to what you make for a reserve day.

The good news is that you continue to accumulate years of service and rank (potentially), which increase your retirement pay.

The tough part is getting hired. You must find a reserve unit that has a slot they are willing to give to a retiree - they don't have to do it. And if they already have a token retired guy, you are out of luck.

The feedback I got from a unit that needed my experience was so encouraging I was confident they were going to hire me. Then 9/11 happened and FedEx called. I did not have a need to follow through. But I have an acquaintance that did, and he got hired. As of 2001, it is do-able. I have not kept up with current options.

Good luck - sell yourself - think networking and marketing

Have any Army guys successfully done this in an active, ARNG, or USAR unit?

Not trying to dampen your spirits...I tried to get hired by a reserve unit right after they announced the program. Interviewed, got "hired", even completed a flight physical. Spent the next year getting dicked around by the recruiter. Seems the AF kept changing the requirements, IE. manning levels, double billeting, etc. Recruiter gave up. But I do wish you good luck.

BTW.. If you're interested in a ground job, ABX Air is hiring a ground school instructor. Decent pay, benefits, etc.

Purple Haze said:
The tough part is getting hired. You must find a reserve unit that has a slot they are willing to give to a retiree - they don't have to do it. And if they already have a token retired guy, you are out of luck.

The feedback I got from a unit that needed my experience was so encouraging I was confident they were going to hire me. Then 9/11 happened and FedEx called. I did not have a need to follow through. But I have an acquaintance that did, and he got hired. As of 2001, it is do-able. I have not kept up with current options.

Unfortunately since 9/11, the pilot shortage went away.

When it opened up a few years back, we had a couple of retirees thinking about applying to our reserve unit but left a bad impression with our SQ/CC at the time. Too many conditions set forth by the old dudes made the decision easy. It wasn't worth hiring them.

Have you tried LSI? They own the sim contract for SUPT and other Mil training. Location may be a problem though

Good luck

The pilot shortage went away??? Sounds like an AFPC perspective.

Depends on your community, but in my world, there IS a pilot shortage.

Huggyu2 said:
The pilot shortage went away??? Sounds like an AFPC perspective.

Depends on your community, but in my world, there IS a pilot shortage.

It's definitely community dependent. We were told the AF is not short of pilots. We were sweating the last "look" at the bonus by senior leadership.

I heard your world was hurting. I know a guy that was practically forced to interview for a recce position. Needless to say, he's not out there now.

Latest resources

Back