• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

retired airline pilots at NJA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No offense Sewept, but an ILS is an ILS or VOR is a VOR, when was the last time you saw an airline guy shoot a circling(most airlines won't allow it) or an NDB again most airlines won't allow it. Ask an airline gut to figure out fuel or flight plan or a simple thing like know where when and how to get coffee, ice and papers EFFICIENTLY. ETC, ETC.

Look I think airline guys have experience sure, however if I had to pick I would take a Corporate guy or girl who's been doing it from the start. They were dedicated to Corporate from the start.

Look at it this way, its not just having a person next to you to help you with (as you put it) the night garbage weather while circling. What if you also had the person next to you who did there job very efficiently(coffe, ice, papers,catering issues, cleaning the plane, stocking, ordering fuel, ETC.) and allowed you to get out quick to avoid the weather here, there or avoid slot time issues and still assisting you with no problems on approaches late.
No offense Art, but I've shot more than my share of night, garbage weather, circling approaches here at Netjets. I want the most EXPERIENCED pilots we can hire sitting in my right or left seat. Airline guys suit me just fine.[/quote]

Last edited:
What does the quality of the pilot have to do with what kind of job he has done previously? A good pilot is a good pilot. A bad pilot is a bad pilot. It's as simple as that, and it has nothing to do with what you've been doing to earn your paycheck.

A quality pilot will have no problem adapting to a new situation. Anyone who is flying professionally is getting enough experience that it shouldn't be too hard to transfer whatever skills are currently being used to new areas or areas which haven't been used in a while. A good pilot can do that. A bad pilot, regardless of background, may just never be able to "get it" no matter how much experience he has with something.

Nothing replaces judgement and a good attitude, anyone can learn to be a good stick- especially someone who has some skill and talent for it, it's just a matter of adapting to a new situation. Assuming that you can judge the quality of a pilot based on the type of flying he's currently doing is no more accurate than judging a pilot by the color of their skin, their gender, their height, or any other arbitrary measure.

That being said, freight pilots are the best. (I know some people here are dense- so just to be clear, that's a joke)

I does agree Milehigh6080. I was replying to what Swept had said only airline guys next to him.

And for the record I flew a Banderiante for a little over 2 years in Sh%@ weather, unpersurized, in ice all the time while flying through yellow weather 1/3 the time with half the equipment MEL'D(boss said time was money). Would I do it again certainly not if I didn't have too, but the experience was priceless.

Last edited:
So hopalong you worked for AirNow?

No, but close. A company called SAS. If I had to pick the best 135 freight ops. it would be SAS. When AirNow shut down there engines smoked. True story, they were our competitors so companies would hire both of us if it were alot of freight. This happen quite often, and they smoked. We used to joke around about it all the time.

Did you work in the Great Lakes Region Before NJ?

No just NE

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back