Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
semperfido said:
was joking....i would toss em as well.

......unless they were from a fellow jarhead:)

Isn't English a second language for most Leathernecks? It's a close second to barking at an ungodly volume and a series of 'OORAHs'.

I agree with English and the others who have posted about leaving personal information off the resume. I still see it on resumes I receive. Keep the age, marital status, etc., off your resume.

If you belong to associations, they should be related to your profession. If an association is not related to your profession, such as Habitat for Humanity, and you know the employer is heavily involved with that charity, it is a good thing.

I usually tell people to stay away from "taboo" subjects, such as politics, religion, and abortion. There is a 50/50 chance that someone who is a democrat will land on a republican's desk or vice versa. Same principle applies to religion and abortion. You just do not want to have a point of contention. What you do or believe in your personal life should not be brought into a hiring situation.

Employers are not hiring you because of your extracurricular activities. They are hiring you for the job that you can perform. Some employers do not want you to split your loyalties between the company and your activities.

There can be "for" and "against" responses to what I have said, however, just use common sense.

Kathy

Single, 5 children, age 58, fluent in Vietnamese, smoker, height 5'1", 280 lbs.

No more visuals, please.

CLAMBAKE

Also, don't be stupid enough to put your ssn on your resume. You have no idea who is getting it. Anyone can post that they need pilots on a job board and get 100+ resumes with ssn's on them. Talk about easy ID theft.

Even if you know who you are sending it too, still don't include the ssn. You could dial the wrong number on the fax machine or their computer could have spy ware on it if you e-mail it. When they need it they'll have you write it on a piece of paper. That is when it is ok.

here's an honest question for you people who look at a lot of resume's.

I'm an Eagle Scout. It took a significant amount of time and dedication for me to achieve that rank. Is this something that I should put on a resume or not (under the title of Honors?)? I've had one Dir. of Ops. and CP tell me that it should be on there. But they both understand what it means to achieve that rank and they were very impressed by it.

I'm very curious what others think.

Thanks for the replies,
FI

i would leave it off a resume at this point in your career as it seems more like a boyhood achievement (it may not be and you have every right to be proud of it...i don't really know as i never made it past tenderfoot). as you progress you will have achievements that will overshadow that one. i would stick with professional, academic and military achievements. however, i would mention it in an interview if the opportunity came up.

semperfido said:
i would leave it off a resume at this point in your career as it seems more like a boyhood achievement (it may not be and you have every right to be proud of it...i don't really know as i never made it past tenderfoot). as you progress you will have achievements that will overshadow that one. i would stick with professional, academic and military achievements. however, i would mention it in an interview if the opportunity came up.

I've been thinking along the same lines that you are. The part I highlighted above is my main thinking for not including it. It really was a "life achievement" but having it on my resume felt the same as listing organizations that you were involved in from High School on your resume.

Thanks.

Once an Eagle...

semperfido said:
i would leave it off a resume at this point in your career as it seems more like a boyhood achievement (it may not be and you have every right to be proud of it...i don't really know as i never made it past tenderfoot). as you progress you will have achievements that will overshadow that one.
Few people will appreciate the significance of the achievement, and since it's more likely that they will consider it a "boyhood achievement", I'll agree that's it probably best to leave it off a resume. The reality is you must cater to perceptions.

The good news, though, is the experience that you gained reaching that goal will have a farther reaching advantage than including it as a line on that critical piece of paper. Congratulations.

Same advice goes for Spaatz.

TonyC said:
Few people will appreciate the significance of the achievement, and since it's more likely that they will consider it a "boyhood achievement", I'll agree that's it probably best to leave it off a resume. The reality is you must cater to perceptions.

English Girl Guides have something along the same lines as the Eagle Scout Award. It's called the Baden Powell, and is presented to you by a member of the Royal Family. HUGE deal when you're a Guide, and something that I was very proud to have achieved. It's no longer on my resume however, due to exactly that fact, which is really sad.

Latest resources

Back