resume advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

English

I'm not Resume Writer, but I just gotta give the general pilot populance some advice - please don't put personal information on your resume! Here's an example;

Single, 5 children, age 58, fluent in Vietnamese, smoker, height 5'1", 280 lbs.

Or my favorite...

Member of XXX gun club. Hobbies include hunting and shooting clay pigeons.

Each of these descriptions paint a picture that doesn't need to be there. All that your resume should display are your qualifications. Let the picture of you come out in an interview. Don't shoot yourself in the foot before you even get through the door.

I see no reason whatsoever to put your marital status, age, number of children you have, or a list of hobbies. Why give someone a reason to discriminate? And the few people that are still putting their social security numbers on their resumes - what are you thinking? Ever heard of identity theft?

soooo, what about putting down your sign, You know, Capricorn? :)
I know I'm young and all, but seriously, I thought everyone knew that you kept to your qualifications and didn't include any personal info.

semperfido said:
good advice....what prompted this sponaneous, out of the blue advice? see some really good resumes?:)

I don't know if I'd call the resumes I've seen "really good". I've seen a ton of spelling and grammatical errors as well. When I see a resume with several spelling errors, I toss it. Who wants to have an employee that doesn't pay attention to details? It's one thing to make spelling mistakes on a message board (hey TonyC, where are you?) but it really shows something about a person who doesn't spell check a resume or cover letter.

Last edited:
English,

I agree about the personal stuff, not necessary and unwise. But a short list of interesting hobbies is good for a variety of reasons.

1)It helps your resume standout. The interviewer may see that I ride mountain bikes or fly airplanes. They may find that interesting to talk to me about.

2)Outside interests show what you do outside of the job. For example, I'm an engineer. I have some hobbies (Formula 1 auto racing, aviation, etc.) that indicate I have technical interests outiside of engineering. This makes for a more well rounded person which is what a company wants.

I too used to believe in keeping hobbies off the resume, but I brought the subject up with a couple of my managers when I was an intern and they thought it was a great idea. I have since had interviews and my interests were brought up in a positive light. Obviously leave the controversial stuff out though. Don't mention your taxidermy hobby, fight club manager, etc. Just common sense though.

wrxpilot said:
English,

I agree about the personal stuff, not necessary and unwise. But a short list of interesting hobbies is good for a variety of reasons.

1)It helps your resume standout. The interviewer may see that I ride mountain bikes or fly airplanes. They may find that interesting to talk to me about.

2)Outside interests show what you do outside of the job. For example, I'm an engineer. I have some hobbies (Formula 1 auto racing, aviation, etc.) that indicate I have technical interests outiside of engineering. This makes for a more well rounded person which is what a company wants.

I too used to believe in keeping hobbies off the resume, but I brought the subject up with a couple of my managers when I was an intern and they thought it was a great idea. I have since had interviews and my interests were brought up in a positive light. Obviously leave the controversial stuff out though. Don't mention your taxidermy hobby, fight club manager, etc. Just common sense though.

Not sure about engineering, but on a pilot resume leave EVERY hobby off.

90% of the time "standing out" means you look like an idiot.

Just the facts, your qualifications. People hiring pilots are looking for ratings and your job history. period. Dont care if you like Indy racing or knitting (maybe the guy screening hates it?)

State the basics very cearly. One page and brief. Get the interview/phone call. Then asnswer the questions and show your winning personality!

:eek: .

Last edited:
Gulfstream 200 said:
Not sure about engineering, but on a pilot resume leave EVERY hobby off.

90% of the time "standing out" means you look like an idiot.

Just the facts, your qualifications. People hiring pilots are looking for ratings and your job history. period. Dont care if you like Indy racing or knitting (maybe the guy screening hates it?)

State the basics very cearly. One page and brief. Get the interview/phone call. Then asnswer the questions and show your winning personality!

:eek: .

Point taken. Now I'll have one less thing to make me look like an idiot 2 yrs from now when I fill one out! :D

Latest resources

Back