Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reserves at ASA can pick up open time now!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA is a sellout club. To allow reserves to pick up opentime on days off is a slippery slope and unsafe considering the ways our reserves fly. Un figgen real. Time to throw these animals out. Turning us into bus drivers.

You make it sound like they are being forced to fly on their day off. Reserves have just been given the option to have a little more control over their pay. Having the OPTION to work on your day off is a hell of a lot better than not having the option. Period.

Some of you guys need Prozac ASAP

How do we start a recall vote. I'm done!!

Recall the union that secured us the best PBS system in the industry? YGTBSM! Good luck with that!

Last edited:
Once again reserves are treated as second-class pilots. If a "Reserve Pilot" picks up a 200% open time trip on his off day, he gets paid straight time. (It is on top of guarantee, but you're probably breaking guarantee anyway, so this doesn't help. This isn't much incentive for a reserve to give up one of his few off days). But if a "Regular Pilot" picks up the same trip on his off day, he gets 200% pay.

Why do we have different classifications of "Reserve Pilot" and "Regular Pilot"? Why not just "Pilot", who is scheduled to fly either a known-in-advance schedule, or a last-minute-reserve schedule, but with the same contractual protections and benefits? I'm surprised they haven't come up with a formal "B-scale" pay rate for reserves while they're at it!

Perhaps you should become a lawyer or a doctor or even a cop or a fireman...oh wait, I know...a train conductor or a mechanic or a nurse out emt.... I hear almost every other career, besides pilots, start out at the top of the pay scale working the best shifts with all weekends and holidays off.....:bawling: cry baby

You make it sound like they are being forced to fly on their day off. Reserves have just been given the option to have a little more control over their pay. Having the OPTION to work on your day off is a hell of a lot better than not having the option. Period.

Some of you guys need Prozac ASAP

Recall the union that secured us the best PBS system in the industry? YGTBSM! Good luck with that!

the best dung pile out of a collection of dung piles is still a dung pile.

No 200% . why is a reserves day off less valuable than a line holder? The credit on top of guarantee is ok but how many 700 reserve guys will not break 74 hours this month, almost none I think. Once again it's nice to know I'm a second class captain.

So if I pick up a trip on my off day I get paid straight up on my already over mmg month but if my roommate picks it up he gets paid at 200%? that sucks.

Btw: over 20 CXs for lack of crews today....

So if I pick up a trip on my off day I get paid straight up on my already over mmg month but if my roommate picks it up he gets paid at 200%? that sucks.

Btw: over 20 CXs for lack of crews today....

20 isnt too bad. Bout a week ago Pinnacle had 110 CX over 2 days for crews. Guess thats why ASA is getting one 9E plane's worth line of flying

Perhaps you should become a lawyer or a doctor or even a cop or a fireman...oh wait, I know...a train conductor or a mechanic or a nurse out emt.... I hear almost every other career, besides pilots, start out at the top of the pay scale working the best shifts with all weekends and holidays off.....:bawling: cry baby

I never asked for top of the pay scale, or all the best shifts, or all weekends and holidays off. I'm asking for the same number of minimum days off (which is still less than most line-holders actually get), and the same percentage of pay for working the same shift as a line-holder on an off day. Since 60-70% of the pilots at any airline either are or will be on reserve at some point (probably for many, many years), I think everyone has a vested interest in at least the appearance of fairness and equality.

By the way, since when is 10+ years at an airline "just starting out"? The current line-holders were fortunate to be hired at a time when they might have sat reserve for a year or two total in their career, but in today's environment, you can easily spend a good part of a decade on reserve.

Last edited:
I never asked for top of the pay scale, or all the best shifts, or all weekends and holidays off. I'm asking for the same number of minimum days off (which is still less than most line-holders actually get), and the same percentage of pay for working the same shift as a line-holder on an off day. Since 60-70% of the pilots at any airline either are or will be on reserve at some point (probably for many, many years), I think everyone has a vested interest in at least the appearance of fairness and equality.

By the way, since when is 10+ years at an airline "just starting out"? The current line-holders were fortunate to be hired at a time when they might have sat reserve for a year or two total in their career, but in today's environment, you can easily spend a good part of a decade on reserve.

You could wait until you're able to hold a line and/or the days off you want before taking a different position. If you've been at ASA for 10+ years and you're on reserve, you're doing something wrong....

You could wait until you're able to hold a line and/or the days off you want before taking a different position. If you've been at ASA for 10+ years and you're on reserve, you're doing something wrong....
Right...I had the audacity to want to stay in the base I was awarded when I hired on, instead of moving to IAD or DTW. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about still being on reserve, I just would like to have equal rules apply to all pilots, and not watch things like 200% and an extra day off be available for only a privileged set.

Did you know that the word privilege derives from the Latin "privus" meaning "private" and "leg-" meaning "law"? Back in the Middle Ages, there were two classes of people, the common man and the "privileged" nobility, who enjoyed a different, private set of laws, rules and benefits. Of course the whole concept of being an American is to abolish two sets of rules, and have equal rules and justice apply to all. Surely you can understand this concept of equality? Just because you've become accustomed to two sets of rules over the years doesn't make it right.

Latest resources

Back