Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

K-Mart

Guys,
What are the promotion rates (Major, Lt Col) for your typical reservists in your units? Also, does your Commander have a policy to not promote individuals that are only doing the required minimum number of days a month or year?

For example, if an individual has completed his PME, walks a straight line, completes all of his/her training and requirements, will they be given a DP or a P?

My question on this is only curiosity but stems from a reserve unit I use to fly in. Apparently, coming from the OG, he will not promote individuals that only do the minimum number of days a month.

Thanks

Last edited:
In my unit if you do your PME it's 100%. Last year we had a TR, CAL pilot, who didn't do his PME make Ltc. He's an IP and a super guy who's contributed a lot. He got a "P" on his PRF but still made Ltc, to the delight of the bros here.

This year another CAL pilot who did do his PME, is a Nav Flight Examiner, Mission Commander, etc. didn't get a "P" because he busted his fitness test. He still made Ltc, though.

Now, with the fitness test being mentioned on OPRs I think it's gonna be a show stopper. Other than that, it sure looks to me like if you do your PME you'll get promoted.

To answer your last comment, I've not seen any difference in promotion rates between min and max participators.

In my unit if you do your PME it's 100%. Last year we had a TR, CAL pilot, who didn't do his PME make Ltc. He's an IP and a super guy who's contributed a lot. He got a "P" on his PRF but still made Ltc, to the delight of the bros here.

This year another CAL pilot who did do his PME, is a Nav Flight Examiner, Mission Commander, etc. didn't get a "P" because he busted his fitness test. He still made Ltc, though.

Now, with the fitness test being mentioned on OPRs I think it's gonna be a show stopper. Other than that, it sure looks to me like if you do your PME you'll get promoted.

To answer your last comment, I've not seen any difference in promotion rates between min and max participators.

Thank you for the info.

I'm not sure if I have the complete story but my bud did say they were not going to help someone get promoted who was only doing the minimum days. That included PME.

Probably none of my business since I am no longer there but I was shocked by what my bud said and needed a little more insight from all on the board.

Wow...an FI reply from St Croix or Hawaii..which is it?
Our guys staying out of trouble? If its HI the answer is "no your LM is not".............watch out for the claw

Removed (duplicate post)

dtfl, from the Peanut Gallery:
Wow...an FI reply from St Croix or Hawaii..which is it?
Our guys staying out of trouble? If its HI the answer is "no your LM is not".............watch out for the claw

Actually, just home from PHIK....See if you can find my quote comparing Flossie to Katrina. I'm sure PA will love it....Believe it or not I found myself preventing one of our guys from participating in fisticuffs....Your loadmaster, as well as both pilots, behaved ( good or bad?)....I am prepared to defend defend against the claw, Mr. Sagdiyev!

I'm in a nonflying unit as an IMA. The last LtCol board (mine), we had 5/5 promotion rate. I got a DP without completion of ACSC.
They gave several DPs; I know of at least one other who didn't complete ACSC, was above the zone, and got a DP. Needless to say, he was promoted.

Our organization has worked very hard to get promotion rates up across the board ... we're a joint organization with both active duty and reservists.

I'm in a nonflying unit as an IMA. The last LtCol board (mine), we had 5/5 promotion rate. I got a DP without completion of ACSC.
They gave several DPs; I know of at least one other who didn't complete ACSC, was above the zone, and got a DP. Needless to say, he was promoted.

Our organization has worked very hard to get promotion rates up across the board ... we're a joint organization with both active duty and reservists.

That is good for the folks involved, but how can a WG/CC give a DP when the individual has not accomplished her or her PME? I don't get it - what kind of message does that send to AD and to the junior officers? Some AD folks I know already think - "oh you made O5 without doing anything" So an O5 int he Reserves, to them, isn't really an O5. I am glad folks are getting promoted but let's not cheapen the system!

? Some AD folks I know already think - "oh you made O5 without doing anything" So an O5 int he Reserves, to them, isn't really an O5. I am glad folks are getting promoted but let's not cheapen the system!

Then your friends need to be enlightened. ACSC in correspondence does nothing except putting a check in the box. That process is already cheapened. It can be accomplished with the gouge in less than 5 weeks. On paper, it is supposedly given equal weight to those who accomplished it in residence.

Those friends of yours still on AD will have little chance of getting hired into a Reserve unit with an attitude like that. But, they are probably lifers and don't fly much anyway because they are too busy thinking that PME makes a good officer.

This vent was not directed towards you. It is that type of attitude exhibited by your "friends" that is a bunch of crap.

You tell your "friends" that a Reserve O-5 makes the same paycheck as an Active Duty O-5, and that oh, by the way, the Reserve O-5 sacrficed a lot of personal time to make the rank because the AF was not his full time job. This is coming from an AF Major with 10+ yrs of Active Duty prior to a recent separation.

Then your friends need to be enlightened. ACSC in correspondence does nothing except putting a check in the box. That process is already cheapened. It can be accomplished with the gouge in less than 5 weeks. On paper, it is supposedly given equal weight to those who accomplished it in residence.

Those friends of yours still on AD will have little chance of getting hired into a Reserve unit with an attitude like that. But, they are probably lifers and don't fly much anyway because they are too busy thinking that PME makes a good officer.

This vent was not directed towards you. It is that type of attitude exhibited by your "friends" that is a bunch of crap.

You tell your "friends" that a Reserve O-5 makes the same paycheck as an Active Duty O-5, and that oh, by the way, the Reserve O-5 sacrficed a lot of personal time to make the rank because the AF was not his full time job. This is coming from an AF Major with 10+ yrs of Active Duty prior to a recent separation.

I am mostly in agreement with you....but after being in AFSOC for 11 years..I heard that statement..."Oh they're just reservists.." too many times. From friends and NON friends. MOF I was the brunt of that attitude during OIF...the AD crew got the cool mission as the lead AC while I, the IP in AFRC flew as #2, although I had planned the mission, etc.
Interestingly enough...they crashed...they all lived but......my point was made.

I realize you can do ACSC and AWC in a matter of months, but it is required for promotion. It's required on AD and it is required in AFRC. So why give DPs? Even if it took 1 DAY...it's required. So do it. Instead we have wings giving DPs to guys they like, that don't have PME. Still sets a bad example.

And having the fattys in the reserves - while the AD guys are held to a higher standard ....that looks bad for AFRC.

Actually the guys saying this are mostly fliers also..but I have heard it so much I cant qualify who really says it....

and again, PME might or might not make a good officer (Actually I think there is some good info in ACSC that everyone can benefit from), but the AF leaderships ays it does so folks shouldn't expect to get promoted without it. I didnt ENJOY my hours and hours studying ACSC or now, AWC..but Im doing it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back