Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JayDub said:
Tony C,

The context in which I took his comments is different than you, I guess. I took what he wrote kind of like to say "ok, I've got my slot, I don't want to be some icky co-pilot, when do I make AC?" Now maybe I read too much into it, I don't know. But I pretty much felt he was asking the question in the same vein as the countless number of folks on the general board that say "I don't want to instruct, how can I get into a jet now with my 263 hours of 'hard' time?"
Maybe I read too much into his post, but, yea, I'd say we took it differently. I see a good kid with a hopeful future that's excited about where he's going, and curious about what's around the corner. I didn't read worry, or discontent, or disdain for his lot in life.

At some point in time, I'm sure you exhibited a sliver of curiosity, too. I just can't believe that you woke up one day in the left seat of a JetBlue Airbus and had not a single thought about how you got there. Surely, there must have been at least one single act of investigation on your part to get you where you are today. I think this kid is investigating just the same.

JayDub said:
It just doesn't work like that, and worrying about it won't change it. Ask any of the guys on the panel at FedEx right now how worrying about when the next class will run (to finally get them off the panel) has improved their QOL. Again, it'll happen when it happens. At least they don't have the same worries as the guys at UsAirways right now, wondering if furloughs will go back 17 years instead of 16. Now that is something to be concerned with.
I agree 100% that worry will change nothing. (Well, it might change things for the worse by precipitating health problems induced by stress, but you know what I mean.) Hope, on the other hand, can have a very POSITIVE influence. Without hope, those guys on the panel might see no reason to stick around. Without the hope of a bright future, this kid might never have pursued a path of UPT and KC-135's. I'm not particularly keen on dashing somebody's hopes just for the sport of it.

JayDub said:
BTW, do I really sound old??? I am 33.
Honestly, yes. Your reply sounded more like the "Shut up and put up" refrain that we might hear from an old sourpuss that doesn't have any grandkids. Sorry if I took it wrong.

:) :cool: :) ;)

Tony C and Chawbein,

No, I don't mean to dash anyone's hopes at all, I just want to make sure there is a dose of realism put in there. Oh, I remember all too well the elation of getting my first instructor gig, first jet job, etc. But then again, had I followed my dream, I'd be furloughed right now. That's the main crux of what I am saying; things change and you need to roll with the punches.

If you look around, far too few that have reached their goals in this business stick around to return a little of what they got. Those that stick around generally do so because they want to "mentor" others. Sometimes being a "mentor" (for the lack of a better word) is to make sure you don't get too far ahead of yourself. If no one else has ever told you life isn't fair, then by gawd, I will. So be it, but to say any less would make me dishonest with myself.

I'd be a bold-faced liar if I told you some great plan got me to the left seat of an Airbus. Actually what got me here was a series of mis-calculations and back-fired plans. I was merely waiting on a "real" job when the best thing that ever happened to me came along (professionally, anyways).

In the mean time of all those years, I kept my nose to the grind stone and enjoyed the flying. If all else fails, when the poo-poo really stinks, enjoy the flying. If you do that, you are guaranteed to enjoy the ride, no matter what.

I know all too well what it's like to be jazzed. Just don't forget there is a lot of work to do in the mean time. Enjoy this feeling you have now, there really is nothing better (again, professionally speaking). Things may never be what you anticipate, but if they are not, make one promise to yourself; be the hardest working S.O.B. in whatever peer group you are part of. It may not get you into the left seat of an Airbus, but you'll know you earned it, no matter where you end up.

Tony C,

This may sound odd, but thanks for standing up for the kid when you thought I was merely trying to build myself up. Too often on these boards no one has the balls to stand up for what they believe. You did, and I appreciate that.

I in no way meant to pee on his parade, but merely to make sure there was some balance in his perspective. If that makes me an assh*le, that's cool. I just don't want someone to make the same mistakes I did. In my path, early on, had I asked this question in my old jet charter job, I'd have been marked for the rest of my career because it would seem I was only there to get qualified to move onto an airline job. I know, corporate and military are apples and oranges (thank God, for the military folks), but they are both real small communities where the smell of a fart can last a real long time.

Now then, where is my Geritol? I need it since there are no Grandkids to hassle ;).

Take care.

Respectfully,

JayDub

JayDub said:
I in no way meant to pee on his parade, but merely to make sure there was some balance in his perspective. If that makes me an assh*le, that's cool.
No, I wouldn't go THAT far. Just grumpy-sounding! :)

JayDub said:
I just don't want someone to make the same mistakes I did. In my path, early on, had I asked this question in my old jet charter job, I'd have been marked for the rest of my career because it would seem I was only there to get qualified to move onto an airline job. I know, corporate and military are apples and oranges (thank God, for the military folks), but they are both real small communities where the smell of a fart can last a real long time.
And perhaps that's why you and I took a different approach to the answer. I would be suspicious of anyone in the tanker community that was NOT anxious about upgrading. I can't speak for the Reserves, and I guess I can't really speak for tankers, either, but I know in the RC-135 community I was in, EVERYONE was anxious to updgrade, EVERYone knew the order in which EVERYONE arrived into the squadron, we all kept track of who went to upgrade last, when the last upgrade class started, and when the next upgrade class was scheduled. The same held true for Instructor Upgrades. Getting extra hours and "other" hours wasn't a concern for us since we had way more hours for our longevity than our tanker counterparts. In fact, we often had as many hours going through AC upgrade as the tanker instructor, so our calculations were based more on how many of us are there, and how many upgrade slots does the squadron get this year. And will we happen to be standing in the right place at the right time when some other unit can't fill an upgrade slot at the last second and we get to jump in and fill it.

Anyway, some of the details were different, but the process and attitude were pretty much the same. Every Copilot was an Aircraft Commander in training.

JayDub said:
Now then, where is my Geritol? I need it since there are no Grandkids to hassle ;)
I hear they keep you young!

:) ;)

Eagleflip said:

He just looks old...trust me...:D

With friends like that...
:p :D ;)

Tony C,

Thanks for the informative posts.

Chawbein,

Congrats on the sponsorship. Knock 'em stiff!

JayDub

Latest resources

Back