Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reserve and regional: how does mil drops work?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think I found the discrepancy on the spreadsheet. I have not been figuring in BAH correctly in the man day calculations. Taking the template I have of 3 man days per week in addition to the 96 periods of UTA/FTPs and 14 days of AT, how does BAH figure into the man day calculation? Is one to prorate the BAH rate over 30 and add that fraction along with the 1/30th of base pay, 1/30 subsistence and 1/30 flight pay to make the man day pay period? Or is one to take the flight pay, base pay and subsistence pay fractions as the man day period, and then add the whole BAH for the month as an additional amount. I did it both ways and obviously adding the whole BAH into the month comes out ahead by a decent amount.

Obviously 3 man days a week does not equal 30 days worth of man days, so I wonder if said man days have to be consecutive (which 3 mandays a week would not) to qualify for BAH Type I or is it just the "time period" you're accruing man days have to be 30 calendar days+ for Bah I to apply.

For reference, my sheet came out with 26.6K for 2LT, 34K for 1LT, and 44K for CAPT assuming 96 AFTP/UTAs 14 AT and 144 man days and single rate BAH for my region ($900 1LT)for all ranks. The second set with the same number of pay periods as before but with the whole BAH for the month accounted for came out with 32.1K 2LT, 40K for 1LT and 53K for CAPT. I wonder which set is closest to being honest. Thanks for the help, I think I'm getting the hang of this Reserve pay, still a lot to learn though. I may not need the regional job if some of these numbers are honest.

For one days pay everything is 1/30th. 1/30 base pay 1/30 flight pay 1/30 BAH (if you get it) 1/30 BAS (if you get it)...etc..etc.

So a man day is 1/30 of each - base, flight, bah and bas
any inactive duty is 1/30 of base and flight pay
Also - you get 15 Annual Tour Man Days a year, 48 TPs (either ground or flying) and your 12 UTAs which are 4 each so 48 UTAs. Exercises and other tdys are above and beyond this. I think you could make 20 something with just the basic days allotted?

Get your PIC turbine time first.....Get on with a unit.....take mil leave from your airline.....go to pilot training....3 years later come back to your airline with 3 years more senority...or hopefully get on with a better airline now that you have another box checked.... Live happy ever after...works all the time.

i would love to do that however im 27 now so this is my last chance to do it if i am going to do it at all.

hey guys just trying to keep up here with all the lingo, im not in the military yet. I am however working on it looking at guard and reserve units. i am already at a regional is this a wise move to try and obtain a pilot slot within the guard or reserves? not looking to leave my job just want to suppliment the income and serve my country.

Your last line "supplement the income and serve my country," caught my attention.

Everything which has been said here is accurate. While this opportunity, at 27, may be your last shot at a flying job with the Guard/Reserve, don't rule out the Guard/Reserve if you don't get a flying job.

I was a medical reject from UPT in 1984. I had three years in and finished 20 years so I could get the military retirement. So far, my Plan B has worked.

My MOS was combat communications/signal and was completely unrelated to flying. However, getting additional orders/man days, as non-rated officer wasn't easy.

Good luck...fly safe!

RedDog is exactly right...If you already have a pilot slot with a guard unit, a few months before you go to pilot training and you want to fly for a living GO GET A JOB AT THE REGIONALS! They are hiring like crazy right now and if you can fog up a mirror and have 400-500TT/50-100ME or even less you will get hired. When you come back from UPT, FTU, Seasoning you'll have 3 years senority, year 3 or 4 pay, probably be able to upgrade to CA as soon as you have the mins. As a CA and a copilot at the guard you could make 70-85k depending on where you're domiciled and where you live.

Latest resources

Back