• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

'Rescued' Citi Buying $50m Jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry Len, was not meant to be a comment that meant anything rude. I meant it differently then what it sounded like. Basically trying to say that you are not gaining anything at all by carrying a balance, pay off the card and be done with it, no reason to give the credit card company more and more money every month. I thought that almost everyone paid off their balances in full every month.

My company cancelled our new G550 for the sole reason of propriety. It just wouldn't look good to stockholders and the general public to be spending that much money when our older model GV works just fine. Unlike the automakers or the financials, our company does not have money troubles at all. I'm sure we will pick up a new 550 in a year or two, until then, I'm just glad to have a job.

Yes, the equipment does not really matter, for the right paycheck I will fly a 150.

Wow. This article really is an assault against ALL corporate aircraft (particularly public companies). I hope the NBAA is out in force to combat this public relations nightmare. I feel for those Citi pilots - it ain't their fault...

I guess the article didn't mention that Citi is also trying to sell its two Falcon 900EXs - the combined funds from those sales could go a long way to paying for the 7X (which was ordered years ago). I guess that factoid should not be highlighted...

This is why I continue to watch FOX News - I can't stand the far-left media like CNN, NBC, etc.

if you asked me this question i'd tell you to mind your f.......ing business.
Thank you Landover. You took the words right out of my mouth. Finally, some common sense on this board. He does not owe anyone an explanation as to why he keeps a balance, and why anyone would ask him that is beyond me.

There's much to be said about the efficiencies and economies of scale derived from a single fleet of G350s and GVs, compared to a mixed fleet of Citations, Falcons, King Airs, Hawkers, and Gulfstreams.
Not really. In operations this size, those efficiences are minimal. They're not SWA or Wal-mart. No matter what you are flying, you are going to have Flight and MX training costs, and when you get to jets of this size, class costs about the same for all of them. Your lot of spares is a costs any airplane this size will have as well. You'll pick up savings here and there for volume from that you will for commonality. Any real savings will come during the buying process, as GM took advantage of. They required Gulfstream to make the EVS/HUD system OEM on all planes that were part of the deal. On the 350, that is typically an add-on.

Citigroup Fumbles Response to Questions About New $50 Million Jet

1/26/09 at 11:20 AM

Comment 5Comment 5Commentsget_comment_count({ container_id: "entry-29348", article_url: "http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2009/01/citigroup_needs_better_pr.html"});

20090126_falcon_250x250.jpg
Photo: Getty Images

Did Citigroup fire its public-relations department when it laid off those 50,000 people a few months ago? Among the many problems faced by the beleaguered bank is the fact that no one seems to be managing their image. There was the long Times takedown of the bank in November, which was only officially commented upon ex post facto. Then there was Riskmeister Emeritus Robert Rubin's disastrous defense of himself in The Wall Street Journal, and the long period of dilly-dallying over bonuses. And when, apparently, the Post called to ask the company to comment on their recent decision to purchase a new $50 million jet, a Citi employee responded like a petulant child.
"Why should I help you when what you write will be used to the detriment of our company?" replied Bill McNamee, head of CitiFlight Inc., the subsidiary that manages Citigroup's corporate fleet, when asked to comment about the new 7X.​

"What relevance does it have but to hurt my company?"​
Okay, it kind of blows our mind to do this, but in the interest of the hundreds of thousands of other people employed by Citi not losing their jobs, we'll give Bill a few tips on what he should do should he receive another call from the media.

1. When a paper calls for comment, don't look at it as helping them. Look at it as helping yourself. For instance, giving a quote that makes your company sound guilty as all hell and like you've been totally busted doing something wrong is a bad idea. Presenting a few reasons for why the company deserves a new jet when it is laying people off and its stock price is scraping the bottom? Much better.
2. Regarding relevance: Try to imagine yourself in the time and place in which we all exist. Might the Post have another reason for asking about Citigroup's $50 billion bailout, other than the fact that the Post is mean and wants to "hurt your company"? Might the public in fact have an interest in the matter, due to the $350 billion taxpayer-funded bailout of "your" company? It's "our" company now, Bill. Spin that around in your little noggin.
3. Try not to cry, Bill. No one respects a crier.

Wow. This article really is an assault against ALL corporate aircraft (particularly public companies). I hope the NBAA is out in force to combat this public relations nightmare. I feel for those Citi pilots - it ain't their fault...

No, it's not. When your company is so big that it's failure would cripple the US economy, and you manage to fukc that up so badly that you need over $45B in bridge money from TAXPAYERS, then you don't deserve to continue operating that business in the manner in which you were when your company failed just becasue you were greedy and made questionable investments. Clearly your way of operating doesn't work. Greed Greed Greed.

I guess the article didn't mention that Citi is also trying to sell its two Falcon 900EXs - the combined funds from those sales could go a long way to paying for the 7X (which was ordered years ago). I guess that factoid should not be highlighted...
Selling those aircraft is going to do nothing for them. Have you seen the used aircraft market? If they sell them anytime soon it'll be at a huge loss. Just too many of every type of jet on the market.
This is why I continue to watch FOX News - I can't stand the far-left media like CNN, NBC, etc.
Watching Fox News won't will do for you what selling those jets will do for Citi; Nothing. I love Fox News, and guys like Rush, and Hannity; their ignorance allows Democrats to move forward. Did you not pay attention to the Elections of ;06 and '08? The American people are tired of the right-wing lies, being broke and unemployed, not to mention having their patriotism questioned just because their view differs from someone else's. Americans continue to express their displeasure in all these areas in the election booth. A Heck of a lot of Republicans voted for Obama; why do you think that is?

Latest resources

Back