Required Medical for CFI Checkride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PHXAviator

Okay, here's a question for you. I'm 99% sure of the answer, but wanted to through it out.

I take my CFI checkride next Tuesday (week from today) and I currently possess a 3rd class medical. It used to be a 2nd class but downgraded to a 3rd just recently.

Now, the FARs state I must have at least a 2nd class medical when exercising commercial privileges and a 3rd class when flight instructing (to act as PIC).

Is going on a CFI checkride exercising commercial privileges?

I say I only need at least a 3rd class medical to take the CFI checkride. My instructor seems to think I need a 2nd class one. I haven't pointed out the FARs to him yet, but I'm pretty darn sure I'm correct.

Thoughts?

Incidentally, I'll probably get a 1st or 2nd class medical anyway between now and next Tuesday. Just mostly curious.

PHXAviator

Third class!!

You only need a third class medical to take the checkride. If I remember right, you only need a third class medical to take any checkride. If you then go on to exercise those priviledges earned in that checkride you will need a first or second class depending on what you are doing. Good luck on the checkride.

;)

You hold a second class medical certificate. After one year, it does not become a third class medical certificate. It is only good for the privileges of a third class medical certificate, but it remains a second class certificate. That's a minor point, but your medical does not "downgrade". It stays the same class of certificate for it's duration.

The regulation you're looking for is 14 CFR 61.39(a)(4) (Prerequisites for practical tests), which requires that an applicant hold at least a third class medical certificate.

A third class medical certificate is all that is required to take the practical for any certificate or rating which requires a medical certificate. If you are testing for an ATP certificate in a multi engine airplane, you still only need a third class. If you're testing for CFI, only a third class. If you're testing for a glider or balloon rating, no medical required.

You suggested that a second class medical certificate might be required to act as a flight instructor. This is in error. You need to hold a commercial pilot certificate, but you are not acting as a pilot for hire. You need only a third class medical certificate when providing flight instruction. If you will not be acting as pilot in command while providing instruction (such as might be the case when providing any but primary instruction), no medical certificate is required.

Remember that when acting as a flight instructor, you are not necessarily pilot in command, nor are you being paid as a pilot...but as an instructor. An instructor is not required to hold a medical certificate, or be flight current, except when acting as pilot in command.

How about restricted medicals? A CFI gets a medical that states "valid for student pilot privlidges only." Does this restrict the CFI from acting as CFI when they are not PIC?

------*Begin whine**
What a process for proving oneself! A condition changes, thou shalt report to an AME. If the AME freaks out, the file goes to OKC, do not pass go, do not collect a medical. So much for the flying job. If the AME only slightly freaks out, the file goes to whatever regional flight surgeon. Roll the dice.

At OKC, when the paperwork weight exceeds the weight of the person requesting the medical, only then can the paperwork be alternatively filed. Once copies in triplicate have been received, only then can the person be sent to four different doctors that may say the same or different things. After one year has passed and the person IS STILL asking for the medical, only then might a restricted one be issued and then only by proving oneself again to a person acting with the Administrator's authority, and then again, only if the Administrator's authority person had a good day.

:eek:

Moral: Don't do NUTHING to jeporadize that medical.

--*End Whine**

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Correct. Studying for CFI written, and that is one of the questions.

THIRD CLASS for checkrides

:)

Latest resources

Back