Republic VS. Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

baune

Which is better?? Pay, upgrade, schedule, days off, working conditions, etc.. all the good stuff. I'll be looking to hopefully move to one of these companies in the near future. I was looking to get based in Denver and I heard the Denver base for republic was pretty junior equalling a short upgrade time. Also, Republic has a 2 year training contract, does Skywest.
I got hosed by signing one before, and don't want to get stuck again, or is it pretty good at Republic to where you wouldn't mind staying the two years? Any information would be great, and I don't want to hear "All regionals suck man!!" they're definately not worse than my job now. Real, helpfull information please.

If you want DEN then you have to be on the Republic certificate. But, don't count on a short upgrade in DEN, that will be going pretty senior for captains. The quickest upgrade at CHQ is CRP on the CRJ.

If you're determined to stay in DEN, then Skywest is a better choice.

Are you leaving Lakes?

How does a junior base equate to a short upgrade?
Every airline has a 'junior' base. American has a junior base and their upgrades are about 15 years.

Republic Airways (Chq, Shuttle and Republic Airlines) are running about 2+ years for the CRJ and 145. 170 (Denver) 3+.

If your flight time is accurate, you'll get the CRJ or 145.

Last edited:
Which aircraft you get at Republic is based on nothing more than the needs of the company.

How does a junior base equate to a short upgrade?
Every airline has a 'junior' base. American has a junior base and their upgrades are about 15 years.

Republic Airways (Chq, Shuttle and Republic Airlines) are running about 2+ years for the CRJ and 145. 170 (Denver) 3+.

If your flight time is accurate, you'll get the CRJ or 145.

Sbav is right....there is no truth to this statement, they will put you where they need you....there are 1000 hour CFI's in the right seat of 175's now

ATP mins for the 170/175.
Incorrect - I've met some, who came from CFI jobs, with little more than 1000hrs.
SkyWest is running at 1 year right now, but that will rise shortly, as FOs are more senior than this, but don't have 2500 TT for upgrade. In 6 months SkyWest will be back to 2 years, just like RAH.
On the other hand, SkyWest does have pretty good work rules, whereas we're fighting for better this year (could get ugly).
If you want Denver, you could make it a condition of employment (get it in writing), but you'd only get a guarantee as an FO. When you upgrade, you never know where you'll end up.

I'm sure this doesn't even need to be said, but a 2 year upgrade now doesn't mean you'll upgrade two years from now if you're hired today, it simply means people hired two years ago are upgrading now.

With all the debate about the long term future of the CRJ at Chautauqua and what may or may not happen with bigger airplanes for RAH at Continental (a whole other thing), it is possible that the current batch of CRJ FO's may never even upgrade in the CRJ. If those planes won't be around in another 2 years, who knows what type of plane those guys may find themselves sitting in when that time comes.

Last edited:
If you want Denver, you could make it a condition of employment (get it in writing), but you'd only get a guarantee as an FO. When you upgrade, you never know where you'll end up.

Thats got to be one of the worst interview practices I've ever heard. Only an idoit with a sense of entitlement would say to an airline, "I won't work for you unless you base me in Denver, and I want that in writing." I'm so sick of people thinking they deserve a job. Sure, there is a shortage of pilots, but that doesn't mean we want to fly with you. I don't know about Shutauqlic, but Skywest requires more than a pulse, so don't make them give it to you in writing.

Latest resources

Back