• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic vs. Eagle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In recent months, even I (coming up on 3 years AE FO) had thought about jumping ship for CHQ (until I read that their LGA base took 2 years to hold as an FO!), but the recent events coming to light about CHQ management threatening to cancel vacation or cancel flying made me raise my eyebrows, I must say.

What does the future hold for AE? Who knows. 7+ year upgrades? I can assure you (barring another 9/11 type event, of course) that it won't be that long. With every flowback gone, the junior CA at Eagle would be a May 01 hire. Still almost 6 years, yes, but then with that 28 month hiring freeze (started of course on 9/3/01), January 2004 hires would be probably be upgrading in a few months.

There are a lot of variables that have yet to be determined in the next year, with the flowthrus being perhaps the biggest wildcard. We've got 400 of them with AA numbers, and the company is just lusting for them to leave, even though many (I wouldn't even say most, probably half) of those flowthrus don't want to go. APA doesn't want them to flow, ALPA and AMR do. So who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if AA has some kind of preferential hiring in place for Eagle pilots (although I woudn't count on it either), because AMR wants guys off of 18 year pay here, whatever it takes. If most of them were allowed to go, or if a deal were worked out that would allow non-numbered flowthrus to go in place of a numbered flowthru, then upgrade times would probably drop to under 3 years. Will any of that happen? We'll have to wait and see I guess.

And then there's the Captain Qualified FO program. This also has the potential to lower upgrade times even further, because many of the most senior jet FO's will bid the program and lock themselves into the jet, causing ATR/SF3 CA to go more junior. This is basically the company paying FO's an extra $10 an hour to qaulify as CA before they could actually hold the seat, and then get the extra pay until they could hold CA on the aircraft, at which time they just switch seats the next month. That's it. As it is, we have a lot of guys who could hold ATR/SF3 CA but don't bid it because of QOL/pay issues. They just rather wait till they can hold EMJ CA.

AA's new contract could also radically alter the direction of AE's path.

My guess for the near future (next 1 to 2 years): 4 year upgrade to the turboprop, 5 1/2 to 6 years to the jet. No, it's not as good as many other places, but I've discovered since I've been here that unless you've got that magic crystal ball...............you don't know what's gonna happen.........

By this time next year at RAH you would have had about 700-800 pilots underneath you. ...Eagle over RAH...are u nuts? not IMO...fact!
It is the numbers ahead of you, not behind you that really matter. Eagle wants to hire 700 this year as well. We will see.
P.S. your opinion cant be fact!:smash:

RAH is only having problems because they can't hire pilots fast enough. Crazy growth. That's the kind of place I want to be. If hired soon you will be a 3rd up the senority list in less than a year. Yes the company has growing pains, but those are the kind of pains you should be looking for. I came to RAH from another regional along with just about everyone here. That say's something. It was a great move for me.

Go fly the E170 at Republic. Nice airplane and the company is diversifying its risk among multiple carriers.

you kids CAN'T predict the future, When I came to eagle 7.5 years ago the upgrade was 2 years things were moving fast, well that all changed and here i am still an FO. all i am saying you cant go somewhere based on the upgrade look at the company and ask yourself if i get stuck here for a while will i be happy. thats it .

Sure it's going to slow down at some point. But it's not at the moment and won't for a while. All of our current contracts do not expire until between 2012-2020. That's at least five years of nothing but growth barring anymore bancruptcies. I'm sure that RAH will not always be a great place to go, but right now it is. In the past three months we have hired 250 and 75 have moved out the top. Not too bad.

REP...Hands down IMHO. With so much growth comes growing pains. The 170 is a beautiful airplane and fun to fly. MGMT threatened cxld vacation but our very strong pilot group put a stop to that. Pay is good, QOL is good, senority is great and rising faster that I can keep up with it. Contract neg always get ugly and that's what your hearing on these boards. We already have a pretty good contract so it can only get better. Cheers:beer:

Don't believe that F9/US rumor until you see a MD/MA in Frontier paint. US can't dump 170's unless we amend the cap purchase agreement.

Don't believe that F9/US rumor until you see a MD/MA in Frontier paint. US can't dump 170's unless we amend the cap purchase agreement.

I suppose that might just be a rumor, but directly from your most recent 10K...

THIRD AMENDMENT TO
REPUBLIC JET SERVICE AGREEMENT
BETWEEN
US AIRWAYS, INC.
AND
REPUBLIC AIRLINE, INC.

This Third Amendment (this “Third Amendment”) to the Republic Jet Service Agreement between US Airways, Inc. (“US Airways”) and Republic Airlines, Inc. (“Republic”) dated as of September 2, 2005, as the same has been amended (the “Agreement”) is made and entered into as of this 19th day of December, 2006 (the “Effective Date”).

WHEREAS , US Airways and Republic have entered into the Agreement; and

WHEREAS , US Airways and Republic wish to amend certain provisions of the Agreement on the terms and conditions set forth herein; and

NOW THEREFORE , for and in consideration of the foregoing premises and the mutual covenants and obligations hereinafter set forth, and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is acknowledged, US Airways and Republic hereby agree as follows:

1. Certain Definitions . All capitalized terms used but not defined herein shall have the meanings set forth in the Agreement. In addition, the following terms shall have the meanings set forth below:

“Swapped Aircraft” - shall mean up to
[*]
ex-MidAtlantic Embraer 170 aircraft as designated on Annex A which shall be removed from Republic’s fleet, to be replaced with an equal number of Embraer 175 aircraft (defined below).

“EMB 175s” - shall mean up to
[*] Embraer
[*] single class 175 aircraft as designated on Annex A. Upon any EMB 175 being made available for service under the Agreement pursuant to Section 2, it shall be deemed included in the definition of “Aircraft” set forth in Section 2.1 of the Agreement.

2. Swapping of Aircraft . The parties acknowledge and agree that any or all of the Swapped Aircraft may be removed from service under the Agreement, one aircraft at a time with at least
[*] days prior notice, over an
[*]month period, beginning on the Effective Date. As any such Swapped Aircraft is so removed from service under the Agreement, an EMB 175 will immediately be available for service thereunder so there will be no service gaps.
[*]
payment of all other sums will be due under Article 5 for each EMB 175 on the same basis as for the New Aircraft and shall commence on the date each EMB 175 is first placed into Service.

[*] denotes confidential information

Latest resources

Back