• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spirit pilots asked for concessions

Robert P. Mark

1/26/2009​
Spirit Airline pilots, represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA), this week rejected a new contract proposal from management that would force fresh concessions in pay, benefits and work rules. The proposal comes within weeks of the airline’s announcing plans to expand service in the Caribbean and United States. An ALPA news release claimed the concessions will turn the Spirit contract into the industry's worst.

On January 20, Spirit Airlines management put forward a new contract proposal that calls for $5.8 million in concessions, with additional concessions imposed if dramatic cuts to benefits are taken into account. Meanwhile, the company plans to spend millions to start service between Boston and Atlantic City, Chicago and Myrtle Beach, and throughout the Caribbean.

In addition, the new proposal states that pilots who are injured while on duty would be ineligible for worker’s compensation unless they can show that they are incapable of performing any job at the company—from secretary to janitor. Captain upgrades would also be based on management’s subjective assessment of the pilot’s personality. Both of these proposals are unheard of in the industry.

When RAH writes the check to Sprit, then its a done deal.

Oh, I don't know. We wrote Frontier a big check right after losing the whole codeshare.

Either this is flame, or Spirit is trying to break its pilot group. RAH is looking worse than Mesa every day.

Bedford's wife is prego again...I hear every time she has a bun in the oven, the Brickheads get a new codeshare... who knows

Republic takes over flying from Midex, and Spirit. Maybe one other? Also gains Mokulele flying.

Now they're an National/LCC with the WORST PAY IN THE HISTORY.

All the while everyone is complacent with their E180 job flying their mainline plane because they park at the mainline gates.

:angryfire

Intelligent posts. As soon as anyone gets new flying - Skywest, ASA, Colgen, Trans-state, Pinnacle, RAH.. they are they worst in history. Another pathetic post.

Look flight info peeps - the economy is tanking. There are too many "budget" airlines flying around with too many empty seats. Look for more of these desperate deals by the majors to stay alive another day. You might be flying them one day..

And I'm sure someone will call you pathetic too! Oh - and I'm sure you'll be accused as well as if you made the deal yourself with their CEO! Not only we fly the airplanes - we negotiate business deals too on our overnights! Amazing!

Last edited:
Intelligent posts. As soon as anyone gets new flying - Skywest, ASA, Colgen, Trans-state, Pinnacle, RAH.. they are they worst in history. Another pathetic loser.

Look flight info peeps - the economy is tanking. There are too many "budget" airlines flying around with too many empty seats. Look for more of these desperate deals to stay alive another day. You might be flying them one day.. And I'm sure someone will call you pathetic too!

My post was not really about the pilots, except the ones that get all excited about more mainline jobs being lost to regional lift providers. So if that's you, waaaaaaaaa.

You're not one of the jerks all pysched about doing Delta Shuttle flying that was done by MD80s are you?

My post was not really about the pilots, except the ones that get all excited about more mainline jobs being lost to regional lift providers. So if that's you, waaaaaaaaa.

You're not one of the jerks all pysched about doing Delta Shuttle flying that was done by MD80s are you?

Personnally - I don't want the Delta Shuttle flights. However - the reality of the fact is that they need to be flown by ERJ-135s. Passenger loads run around 25-30.

I support that idea that regionals need to fly the small stuff instead of flying bigger and bigger jets - so if that was your point- cool. However, making regional pilots feel guilty and ashamed of something completely outside of their control is ridiculous. Its a repeated self-bashing, self-hating post everyday on this forum.

Majors cannot continue to fly empty airplanes. Instead of going out of business, (for better or worse), they make deals with regionals to stay alive another day. Looks like we are all in that boat. Unless your airline attempts another Independence Air deal.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back