Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic interested in American Eagle again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

inflightboi175

The head of Republic Airways Holdings Inc. (RJET) said Tuesday it is committed to turning around its loss-making Frontier unit after securing deals to give staff equity in return for cost-saving concessions.

Republic bought two rivals to diversify from flying on behalf of network airlines, only for the move to turn sour under the weight of soaring fuel costs and intense competition in Denver.

The company beat off competition from Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV) to buy Denver-based Frontier Airlines out of bankruptcy protection, but now plans to cut its stake to a minority by 2014.

"I believe we are going to fix it," said Republic Chairman and Chief Executive Bryan Bedford when asked on a post-earnings' call whether it might allow Frontier to collapse.

Frontier's flight attendant union on Tuesday backed a new contact that would swap concessions for equity in the restructured airline, mirroring a pact reached last month with pilots.

Bedford didn't detail what equity stake employees might receive, with the outcome depending on the search for a third-party investor.

Republic is switching out of smaller aircraft in favor of larger jets in a bid to cut costs, and Bedford said it had received "significant assistance" from plane maker Airbus and CFM--an engine maker part-owned by General Electric Co. (GE)--to help its restructuring.

Bedford said talks had been held with AMR Corp. (AMR) about potential opportunities arising from plans to spin off the American Eagle commuter airline unit, an existing Republic partner.

However, he said he was not "deep in the weeds" over any potential acquisition of the AMR business.

Republic reported a loss of $14.9 million for the three months to June 30 compared with a profit of $2.6 million a year earlier.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110802-712627.html

Let's see...We lost 7 times the money we made in the same quarter last year. I know, let's buy ANOTHER RJ airline!

The company beat off competition from Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV) to buy Denver-based Frontier Airlines out of bankruptcy protection, but now plans to cut its stake to a minority by 2014.

We didn't beat SWA at all. GK let us get it knowing full well that our inept company would slowly choke to death.

I don't think BB is interested in Eagle as much as he wants to get some of the flying Eagle has for AA - espically some of the 70 seat flying.

I don't think BB is interested in Eagle as much as he wants to get some of the flying Eagle has for AA - espically some of the 70 seat flying.

I agree with you in that he is just looking to pick up more flying, but what does the mainline contract's scope clause say about outsourced 70-seat flying in the event of Eagle being divested?

I'm thinking that he's looking for a place to put the 145s that are being taken out of CO service.

Holy heck would break out if they tried to do that. I don't think even Arpey at this point wants that kind of sh*tstorm.

Holy heck would break out if they tried to do that. I don't think even Arpey at this point wants that kind of sh*tstorm.

If he finds a buyer, he's done his job. I'd sell it, let Bedford borrow back against it for cash, and then buy it back for nothing if Republic failed. Reminds me of the book 'Hard Landing' when everybody was buying everybody else just to be able to borrow more to keep running. Don't know if the same applies here, but it seems familiar.

Latest resources

Back