Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SpyFlysDOTs

Fight Info
Finished a 3 day trip today in the bus at ORD heading to the parking lot.
There sits a Republic Capt...Mighty commander of the E 170.
Bus is now waiting at C9, while a UAL 767 pulls into the gate.
The bus, as instructed, does NOT CROSS behind a UAL 767 with a beacon on, and one engine running as they wait for the rampers to plug in gate power.
The Capt, in full uniform, hat, flightcase, rollaboard asks the bus drive to let him out at C 9, since maybe he was late for his flight to DSM?
Bus driver, didn't hesitate one second when rear door of the bus clicked open.
Then comes the funny sad part.
E 170 Capt then decides to walk IN BACK of the 767, that had one engine powered WAY UP while waiting for ground power to be plugged in...
Only two pilots in the bus watching, myself and the other pilot on our 3 day, along with our FA and another FA from another airline.
Look, I am not the smoothest beer in the case, but even I KNOW< you don't walk in back of a 767 that has an engine running.
Then, I wish I had a video cam running.
Republic Capt's hat blows off, and his flight bag twists around his rollaboard and he trys to figure out just how stupid this move was, and to continue thru the jetblast, or go get his hat that has blown half way to terminal 2. His gutt move was to retrieve the hat, which had him even LONGER in the jetblast.
All of us, on the bus, just figured that this guy was intellegent enough to go in FRONT of the B767 running, not behind it.
Judgement....
To make this thread into something positive, what have you done in a similar fashion that was dumb dumb dumb and you wished you hadn't?

Finished a 3 day trip today in the bus at ORD heading to the parking lot.
There sits a Republic Capt...Mighty commander of the E 170.
Bus is now waiting at C9, while a UAL 767 pulls into the gate.
The bus, as instructed, does NOT CROSS behind a UAL 767 with a beacon on, and one engine running as they wait for the rampers to plug in gate power.
The Capt, in full uniform, hat, flightcase, rollaboard asks the bus drive to let him out at C 9, since maybe he was late for his flight to DSM?
Bus driver, didn't hesitate one second when rear door of the bus clicked open.
Then comes the funny sad part.
E 170 Capt then decides to walk IN BACK of the 767, that had one engine powered WAY UP while waiting for ground power to be plugged in...
Only two pilots in the bus watching, myself and the other pilot on our 3 day, along with our FA and another FA from another airline.
Look, I am not the smoothest beer in the case, but even I KNOW< you don't walk in back of a 767 that has an engine running.
Then, I wish I had a video cam running.
Republic Capt's hat blows off, and his flight bag twists around his rollaboard and he trys to figure out just how stupid this move was, and to continue thru the jetblast, or go get his hat that has blown half way to terminal 2. His gutt move was to retrieve the hat, which had him even LONGER in the jetblast.
All of us, on the bus, just figured that this guy was intellegent enough to go in FRONT of the B767 running, not behind it.
Judgement....
To make this thread into something positive, what have you done in a similar fashion that was dumb dumb dumb and you wished you hadn't?

Way up huh. you must think that there is a min thrust setting for establishing gate power.

Nope...
What I think is, when you are walking on the ramp, and the bus follows the rules, no driving by any jet with beacon on that just pulled into gate with engine running, you don't walk behind the jet.
Typically, 75's and 76's seem to have the engine that remains on while waiting for ground power, idled above what may be idle thrust.
It was loud enough to hear that it was UP THERE, from inside a running bus.
Don't get me wrong, I already indicated that I am not the smartest dude on this Earth. Just hope someone may read this and think twice prior to walking behind a large jet engine.

(Not to mention, but I'm going to anyhow, we have been warned numerous times to check in AT the gate prior to heading for the cockpit at ORD. That, by my observation did NOT happen. Maybe his airline doesn't go by the same rules and memos ours does...)

Last edited:
...Way up huh. you must think that there is a min thrust setting for establishing gate power....

yeah yeah, ok ok, that is what I think, there is a minimum thrust setting for large jets, vs small jets..yeah. What was I thinking????

Were you this pilot? lol

Ground to flightdeck..."Hey guys, There is a republic capt. behind your running engine".

Ground control to flightdeck.............

Cell phone to flightdeck............

Flightdeck to flightdeck...........

Maint to flightdeck...........

Gate to flightdeck.....

Did he look like he was older (in his 40s), walked with his chest sticking out?

Latest resources

Back