• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic/Chautauqua/Shuttle America

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand that Republic Holdings owns these companies. Can someone please explain what exactly is going on?

Are there three separate certificates?
Are there three separate pilot lists?
Is all 170 flying done just by Shuttle?
Are applications all submitted through Chautauqua's website?

I'm very confused!

3 certificates
1 pilot list
No, Shuttle and Republic
Yes

So are we...

Shuttle- Delta Connection and United express 170's
Republic-US airways express 170's
Chautauqua- All 145 flying (Delta, United, Usairways, American)

Columbus, Indy and OHare are Shuttle bases
Indy, DCA, and soon Pitt are Republic bases
mco, fll, gso, stl, ric, lga, buf, ind, cmh, sdf, are chautaqua bases.

I know, it was confusing at first, hope this helps, good luck.

Go UCF Knights

And you have no choice on which of the three you go to, correct? So, if you want a particular domicile, you have to hope you get the offer for that particular company?

And - Doesn't Shuttle operate Saabs?
Thanks in advance.

I stay confused, so I don't have to get confused.

TH

UCF Aviator said:
Shuttle- Delta Connection and United express 170's
Republic-US airways express 170's
Chautauqua- All 145 flying (Delta, United, Usairways, American)

Columbus, Indy and OHare are Shuttle bases
Indy, DCA, and soon Pitt are Republic bases
mco, fll, gso, stl, ric, lga, buf, ind, cmh, sdf, are chautaqua bases.

I know, it was confusing at first, hope this helps, good luck.

Go UCF Knights

So...

if you get hired by Republic, do you ever fly Shuttle routes? Can you switch from one to the other (if, for example, you'd like ORD as a base once you could hold it but work for Republic)?

Thanks...it's improved from about 1/4mi to 1/2 vis for me.

jobear said:
3 certificates
1 pilot list
No, Shuttle and Republic
Yes

So are we...

You left SKX to go there, right? How long have you been there and how doew your seniority stand now?

OverspeedCowboy said:
So...

if you get hired by Republic, do you ever fly Shuttle routes? Can you switch from one to the other (if, for example, you'd like ORD as a base once you could hold it but work for Republic)?

Thanks...it's improved from about 1/4mi to 1/2 vis for me.

Good question
For right now, if you were to be hired by Republic and based in DCA all of the flying you would do would be republic routes for Airways express. However, you are able to transfer bases by changing your standing bid and based upon your seniority you may or may not get it. Furthermore, our company is working on intercertificate transfers with the FAA. If that is approved you would be able to fly for any certifcate on the 170.

Terry Hunter said:
And you have no choice on which of the three you go to, correct? So, if you want a particular domicile, you have to hope you get the offer for that particular company?

And - Doesn't Shuttle operate Saabs?
Thanks in advance.

I stay confused, so I don't have to get confused.

TH

Shuttle started out flying Dash 8s from BDL as a stand alone airline somtime in '99 or 2000. Then they got a USAir express contract (I believe - pls correct me if I'm wrong), followed by a United Express contract out of IAD using Saab 340s... and now they dumped all the Saabs and operate only the 170 for UEX out of ORD and the 170 for DLC out of CMH and IND.

Shuttle was a Dash operator till bk then was bought by wexford to operate the 340's till end of leases, now that all the leases are up on the saabs and they are finally parked in FWA. They were bought by republic to operate the 170's for UAL due to scope clauses( thank god for small miracles) The USair planes republic is going to run those. Shuttle operates out of SLC and IAD ORD while most of the DAL planes operate out of SLC

Last edited:
Shuttle operated the last SAAB flight on Wednesday. Now the SAABs may be used only to ferry mechanics and parts around the Republic system until all the SAAB pilots are in training.

As far as switching certificates, I was told by someone in HDQ that once you are on with either certificate (as of right now) you can not switch. When I asked even to upgrade, I was told as of now, NO. I am sure that is something that will have to be ironed out.

The DO of Shuttle America said they plan on working on getting an agreement with the FAA to allow pilots to transfer between certificates but he said that is a LONG WAY away. Right now, there is too many differences in the books and the training programs (between Republic and Shuttle's) to have that happen quickly.

Latest resources

Back