Renewing my CFI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cosmo1999 said:
Tell me how being able to teach is not an operating privledge.
Tell me how a CFI sitting in the right seat with no medical certifciate, not having had a flight review in 12 years, giving a flight review to a fully current pilot =is= a pilot operating privilege.

Cosmo1999 said:
I still say you can use the CFI checkride to extend your BFR.

Yeah, not surprised, there's always *someone* who refuses to get it, even after it's been spelled out in excruciating detail ..... you don't happen to post as CFIrob on another board do you?

Cosmo1999 said:
It is not a pilot proficency checkride however it is a checkride for an operating privledge.

Fascinating, truly fascinating. You concede that it is not a pilot proficiency checkrice, yet you insist that it counts...WTF Over? Read the regulation a little more carefully, it must be a "pilot proficiency checkride" ... it says "...pilot proficenecy checkride...*for* a pilot certificate, rating or operating privilege..." It doesn't say a "...pilot proficency check ride *or*.... checkride for pilot certifcate..etc." If it's not a pilot proficency checkride, it clearly doesn't count, and you agree that it's not a pilot proficiency checkride .... so what are we arguing about?

Even if we ignore your monumental illogic about the pilot proficency checkride, your insistence that it's an operating privilege makes no sense either.

Tell us exactly what operating privilege do you get with an instructor's certificate? Before you answer, go take a look in Part 1 for the definition of *operate*

Can you operate bigger or faster or more complex airplanes than you would otherwise on the merits of your pilot license?

Can you operate as an aircrew member in a certificated operation?

Does your instructor certificate allow you to oeprate anything, anything at all? Nope, not even a shopping cart.

Instructing isn't *operating* Take away your instructor';s certificates and you can still operate everything you could before. Take away your pilot certificate but leave you with the instructor certificate and you can't operate anything at all.

Go take a look at 61.193 which specifies the privileges of an instructor certificate. in a nutshell, an instructor may "give training and endorsements". period, that's all the privileges you get with an instructor certificate. There are no operating privileges.

Originally posted by Cosmo1999 Tell me how being able to teach is not an operating privledge. [/B]

OK, since you insist: instructing is not operating. A pilot certificate allows you to operate aircraft, an instructor certificate allows you to instruct students and endorse logbooks.

Originally posted by Cosmo1999 That letter was issued for the east coast region but does not apply to the west coast to the best of my knowledge. So if your in the west coast region its still a gray area. [/B]

Right, you want to bet your certificate on that? Enforcements are decided by NTSB administrative law judges. The NTSB ALJ is reqired to defer to FAA legal interpretations. There's nothing that says an ALJ can ignore a Legal Counsel interpretation if it was issued by an office in a different part of the country. If htere's an interpretation, the NTSB decides your case according to the interpretation. Now, If you could find an interpretation issued by the Western Region office of legal counsel which said a CFI ride counts as a flight review, you might have a grey area. In such case, I suppose that the Chief Counsel would have to issue a ruling. But, there is no conflicting interpretation. ....so you got nothing, nada. It's unlikely that there ever *will* be a conflicting interpretation because the one we have is based solidly in the words of the regulation. The regulation says "pilot checkride" for "pilot certificate, rating or operating privilege" and an instructor certificate is none of the above.

We've got an official interpretation from the FAA's legal counsel which tells us exactly what the regulation means. You are not free to ignore it because you live in a differnet part of the country, remember the regulations apply across the country.

Last edited:
avbug said:
I said private sector, and spoke not a whit about airline flying. Truth is that there are very few airline pilots that light my pipe either...I've met precious few that impressed me.

In all fairness, I know certain in the FAA that are qualified individuals, and whom have an adequate background. I know many more who do not, who are bureaucrats who are easily recognized as FAA because they're the only ones at the airport who's socks don't match.

I've known some darned fine individuals who were a credit to the agency, and to the industry. I've known some others who were not. It's of those individuals whom I spoke.

Maybe if you had some respect for others they might return the same.

Come down from the ivory tower and chat with us mortal aviators sometime, Lindbergh.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back