Renewing CFI w/pass rate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

Okay, here is my question. What must one do to renew their CFI with there pass rate. What pass rate is required, and how many students? How recently must these passes have occured? I think it is in part 61 somewhere, but I'm lazy tonight. Thanks!

I believe that 80% passrate in 2 years will get you a gold seal.

But I could be wrong, been a while since I renewed.

CFI renewal

Yeah i'm feeling lazy too but it seems to me that you had to pass at least 10 people in the previuos 2 years and the FAA "can" but does not have to renew you based on activity.

Cub

aopa's website says 80% pass rate with at least 5 signoffs. also, if you have been an instructor at a 135 or 121 op. i'm up for renewal as well.

It's been a while for me as well, but if I remember correctly you need an 80% pass rate out of at least 10 people you have sent for a checkride.

So 8 people need to have passed their ride, all within the last 2 years.

EDIT: Just looked it up online on AOPA...4 out of 5 students passed within the previous 24 months. There you go.

Last edited:
I just renewed this way a week ago, had 15 out of 17 pass in 2 years, just went to the FSDO with a filled out 8710 and my logbook, showed my records and was given a temp., took about 10 mins. I believe you have to have 10 signoffs (80% pass rate) and an AGI to get the gold seal.

What do you take to the FSDO to prove that you have passed the required ammount? Does it matter which FSDO you go to?

W2B,

Just take your student records, your ticket and ID.

As far as student records, I just had a sheet that I had made up on the computer with the name of the student, certificate number, and type and date of signoff. The FSDO guy took one look at it and cranked out a temp. Total time taken, about :10

I did it one time at a random FSDO that just happened to be next to the airport where I had a few hours to kill. These days you need to make an appointment, but it shouldn't matter which FSDO.

Nu

Way2Broke said:
What do you take to the FSDO to prove that you have passed the required ammount? Does it matter which FSDO you go to?

I provided my own list of the names of the students that passed. I also kept track of their cert. #, date they took the checkride, and the type of ride. Just to confirm it is an 80% pass rate with at least 10 students recommended within the previous 24 months.. Must have a Comm Cert. w/Inst. Rating and at least a Basic Ground Instructor Cert.

Which FSDO is irrelevant. Any one.

My advice is as soon as you achieve that 80% pass rate get the Gold Seal. I know nothing of your istructing abilities, but some CFIs have been known to endure streaks of bad luck and lose that 80% pass rate. The Gold Seal will stay with you forever so once you've got it, you won't lose it, even if you fall out of CFI currency. Furthermore, it does count as a renewal.

See AC 61-65E dated 11/29/05

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/2e1337fc395e0a33862570d0005ea8a2/$FILE/AC61-65E.pdf

Latest resources

Back