• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Renewing CFI/MEI at FSDO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An ASI may require an applicant for renewal or reinstatement to complete all or any portion of the flight instructor practical test that the ASI deems necessary to determine the applicant’s competence to hold a flight instructor certificate. The required tasks that an applicant need to accomplish to renew/reinstate a flight instructor certificate are covered in the appropriate flight instructor PTS.[/FONT][/SIZE]

This is true only IF you are completing the whole renewal process through the Fed and not an outside vendor...

I like some of of the others have renewed several different ways- 135 Captain, 135 check airman, etc, pt91 training captain, american flyers, and just a plain old favor. Never had any issues or questions other than what are you flying stuff.

Have your paperwork filled out properly and it should not be a problem.

This is true only IF you are completing the whole renewal process through the Fed and not an outside vendor...

You are always completing the process through a FSDO. Look at who signs the back of the 8710 for approval. The "outside vender" or ground school (if you will) is only to meet the requirements of the renewal. All renewals follow the process in the 8900 link I posted at the begining of this thread.

You are always completing the process through a FSDO. Look at who signs the back of the 8710 for approval. The "outside vender" or ground school (if you will) is only to meet the requirements of the renewal. All renewals follow the process in the 8900 link I posted at the begining of this thread.

So when AOPA brings your paperwork in for renewal do they call the applicant and give questions over the phone?

JAFI

Not trying to be a wise guy I am simply making the point that the FAA "may" perform alot of inspections, questioning and testing. Look at a ramp check, there are a ton of items that they may check but they don't.

I am not trying to be a wise guy either. Please read the reference again:

An ASI may require an applicant for renewal or reinstatement to complete all or any portion of the flight instructor practical test that the ASI deems necessary

If AOPA or any contractor brings in the 8710, an Inspector or Aviation Safety Assistant processes the form.

An Inspector can ask questions if they decide to. It is part of the process. The thread was suggesting they do not. I provided the reference they can.

I did an online CFI/MEI renewal and instead of giving them 50 bucks to walk my stuff to the FSDO, I have one up the street from me.

I have heard rumors the inspector can ask questions and give an oral to your to verify your competency. Has that happened to anybody on here?? It sounds kinda far-fetched, but them Feds like the far-fetched types........

Thanks in advance!

I've done the Gleim course for the last three renewals and it is a piece of cake. You do have to make an appointment though. I haven't heard of anyone having to answer any questions.

Thanks for the info....

I'm in the same boat, haven't instructed in a small plane for 16 years. Line check airman, sim instructor..etc. etc. I hope that counts!!

If they ask me about FOI or some other forgotten CFI thing, I'm gonna hand em my ticket!!!:uzi:

Sounds too late this time, but maybe in 2 years it will help you out. I'm a 121 capt (not a check airman) and the FSDO that deals with my airline will renew my CFI just based on the fact that I'm a 121 capt. All I have to do is fill out an 8710 and head to the FSDO...back out the door in 5-10 mins. Only slightly complicated thing is I have to get it done by a fed that deals with my airline so its only a handful of guys at the FSDO. Best idea is to call the FSDO a day or 2 ahead of time to make sure someone will be in the office to do it for you.

No test for CFI renewal by FSDO. Any 121 or 135 captain (plus others such as corporate pilots) can renew on that basis. Renewal by mail is also OK.

Per FAA's 8900.1

C. Section 61.197(a)(2)(ii). Individuals have asked FAA about the intent of the statement, “in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots” in § 61.197(a)(2)(ii) and whether it has the same meaning as the old provision in § 61.197(b) . The FAA rewrote § 61.197 to expand the renewal provisions, mainly to include other PICs. For example, the following PICs , who regularly evaluate pilots, have the same reward provisions as a PIC in a part 121 operation:

· A PIC of a multiple pilot flightcrew aircraft under part 135 ,
· Corporate PICs of a multiple pilot flightcrew aircraft under part 125 or 133 ,
· U.S. military pilots who are PICs of a multiple pilot flightcrew aircraft,
· U.S. military instructor pilots and examiners who regularly evaluate pilots under part 125 or 133 , and
· Flight instructors who actively instruct in part 61 schools.
NOTE: FAA ASIs should review evidence of the applicant’s employment, which should clearly show that the applicant is in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots. ASIs also should have personal knowledge of the applicant’s flight instructing capabilities and qualities before renewing that applicant’s flight instructor certificate.
D. Procedures for Processing a Flight Instructor Certification Renewal Via U.S. Mail. Flight instructor renewal applicants are now able to renew their flight instructor certificates on a personal computer workstation and complete an approved flight instructor refresher clinic (FIRC) over the Internet. Some flight instructor renewal applicants have inquired about being able to mail in the required documents to renew their flight instructor certificates. The Certification and General Operations Branch, AFS-810, has approved procedures that will allow a flight instructor renewal applicant whose flight instructor certificate has not expired (meaning the flight instructor has satisfactorily accomplished the flight instructor renewal requirements and has submitted an application prior to the expiration date of his or her flight instructor certificate) to renew his/her flight instructor certificate by sending the application and superseded flight instructor certificate to his or her jurisdictional FSDO via the mail delivery. The procedural requirements that must be followed to accomplish the flight instructor renewal requirements via the mail delivery service are as follows:

1) The flight instructor renewal applicant is required to submit an original completed FAA Form 8710-1.

2) The flight instructor renewal applicant must submit his or her permanent flight instructor certificate.

3) The flight instructor renewal applicant must submit a copy of his or her identification that contains a picture of the applicant (driver’s license, military ID card, etc.). That copy of the applicant’s identification document must be notarized by a notary public.

4) If the flight instructor renewal applicant is renewing on the basis of satisfactory completion of a FIRC (i.e., § 61.197(a)(2)(iii)), the applicant will be required to submit a copy of his or her graduation certificate.

5) If the flight instructor renewal applicant is renewing on the basis of § 61.197(a)(2)(i) or (ii), the applicant must provide copies of the records that substantiate the training of “… at least five students for a practical test for a certificate or rating and at least 80 percent of those students passed that test on the first attempt,” or having served as a “… company check pilot, chief flight instructor, company check airman, or flight instructor in a part 121 or part 135 operation, or in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots.” Those records must be notarized by a notary public.

6) The jurisdictional FSDO will then process the application file and issue the flight instructor renewal applicant a temporary airman certificate. The FSDO will then process the applicant’s file and temporary airman certificate to the FAA Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760, P.O. Box 25082, Oklahoma City, OK 73125. The FSDO need not have a signed temporary airman certificate by the flight instructor renewal applicant in order to submit the applicant’s file to AFS-760.

7) Per § 61.3(d)(1) (i.e., “or other documentation acceptable to the Administrator”), the flight instructor renewal applicant may use the original of his or her FIRC graduation certificate and a copy of the superseded flight instructor certificate until the applicant’s permanent flight instructor certificate arrives. Or the flight instructor renewal applicant may use a copy of his or her FAA Form 8710-1, Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application, and a copy of the superseded flight instructor certificate until the applicant’s permanent flight instructor certificate arrives.

No test for CFI renewal by FSDO. Any 121 or 135 captain (plus others such as corporate pilots) can renew on that basis. Renewal by mail is also OK.

Per FAA's 8900.1

C. Section 61.197(a)(2)(ii). Individuals have asked FAA about the intent of the statement, “in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots” in § 61.197(a)(2)(ii) and whether it has the same meaning as the old provision in § 61.197(b) . The FAA rewrote § 61.197 to expand the renewal provisions, mainly to include other PICs. For example, the following PICs , who regularly evaluate pilots, have the same reward provisions as a PIC in a part 121 operation: ...

This is interesting, but is there a source or reference for ths?

Latest resources

Back