Renewing CFI/MEI at FSDO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BILL LUMBERG

I did an online CFI/MEI renewal and instead of giving them 50 bucks to walk my stuff to the FSDO, I have one up the street from me.

I have heard rumors the inspector can ask questions and give an oral to your to verify your competency. Has that happened to anybody on here?? It sounds kinda far-fetched, but them Feds like the far-fetched types........

Thanks in advance!

I've never had them ask a question or administer an adhoc oral when I've walked in for a renewal - and I haven't actually instructed in over ten years. You're presenting proof you've met the criteria for renewal. Why would they want to make their lives more complicated?

You're perfectly good to go.

I'm getting ready to renew for the 5th time, with A.F. and the local FSDO. In my experience, the FSDO people have so much going on, they want you in and out as quickly as possible. At most they'll probably ask you who you're currently woking for and what type of plane your flying, which may lead to a few stories, but that's about it. It's quick and painless.

Thanks for the info....

I'm in the same boat, haven't instructed in a small plane for 16 years. Line check airman, sim instructor..etc. etc. I hope that counts!!

If they ask me about FOI or some other forgotten CFI thing, I'm gonna hand em my ticket!!!:uzi:

Line check airman, sim instructor..etc

You probably already knew this, but just in case- if you are currently doing those things under 121/135, you didn't really have to do an online renewal. You can renew based on that, just fill out an 8710 and take your check airman letter with you.

Yeah, I switched jets as a check weenie under Part 121 so no soup for me...Good thinking though!!

Thanks

I have heard rumors the inspector can ask questions and give an oral to your to verify your competency. Has that happened to anybody on here?? It sounds kinda far-fetched, but them Feds like the far-fetched types........

Thanks in advance!

Them Far Fetched Feds can ask you questions or give you the entire exam again..... Are ya feeling lucky?????

Read the underlined part.....

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICResults.aspx?mode=EBookContents

Order 8900.1

Volume 5 airman certification

Chapter 2 Title 14 CFR PART 61 CERTIFICATION OF PILOTS AND FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS

Section 11 Conduct a Title 14 CFR Part 61 Flight Instructor Initial/Reinstatement/Renewal Certification and Additional Category/Class Ratings

5-510 PROCEDURES.

E. General Procedures For Renewal Or Reinstatement Of A Cfi Certificate.

An ASI may require an applicant for renewal or reinstatement to complete all or any portion of the flight instructor practical test that the ASI deems necessary to determine the applicant’s competence to hold a flight instructor certificate. The required tasks that an applicant need to accomplish to renew/reinstate a flight instructor certificate are covered in the appropriate flight instructor PTS.

Over the years, I have renewed about every way possible under the FAR's. What I have found is that it really depends on the particular FSDO. The FSDO culture varies from location to location and they 'interpret' and provide 'guidance' based upon their individual FSDO's culture of cooperation with the Aviation community that they 'serve'. In other words, find out how cool the folks at YOUR local FSDO are. Personally, I have found most of them pretty helpful with the exception of Orlando (I have lived in many different places over the years) who seem to be the most aggressive in trying to persecute aviators (my opinion, but not a unique one on this FSDO).

Dont know what part of the country you are in....but...just did mine (live in Chicago land) DPA FSDO, called them, told me that if I was 121 Captain, fill out an 8710 and they would have me in and out of there in less than ten minutes...and the FAA was kept their promise and then some. Chatted with the inspector, he said internal memo has been issued, that due to huge dip in new CFI and renewals, the FSDO's were to do everything possible to keep current CFI's in the game...FWIW
Cya

Cool, I wonder if all that FAA 'good will' covers Part 135 Captains...

Latest resources

Back