Remnants of a Cold

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bally

You know how after you get a cold, the stuffy head thing continues on for awhile...

Anyone know of an over the counter decongestant that works and is approved by the Feds.

Thanks

If you're an AOPA member talk to their aeromedical division. One pilot I know takes a combination of Sudafed and Benadryl. He claims that the Sudafed counteracts any side effects of the Benadryl and the combination relieves both congestion and runny nose. I have no idea if that drug combo would be sanctioned by an AME or the FAA.

Bally

Try Afrin Nasal Spray. You can only use it for 3 or 4 days in a row, but it works great.

Afrin's not approved for flight

Here's an excerpt (below) from www.aviationmedicine.com, an excellent web-site for medical related issues involving pilots.

Doesn't appear that they're too hip on Afrin....except in case of an emergency to get yourself on the ground.

The FAA also permits airmen to use nasal steroid inhalers such as Beconase,Vancenase, Nasalide and Flonase. Inhalers such as Afrin are not permitted for use prior to flight. It may be reasonable to carry some Afrin in a flight bag for use in emergency situations with ear or sinus blocks on descent.

Last edited:
Lemon Thera Flu

Lemon Thera Flu works for everything

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that" - from Orwell's epic 1984"

Actually, that is from 2001: A Space Odysse by Stanley Kubrick.
Said by HAL, the onboard computer. Now, if you can figure out why it is called HAL, I will give you a carrot!

Pick me!

"H A L"; each letter precedes the letters "I B M".

:)

Dave Benjamin said:
If you're an AOPA member talk to their aeromedical division. One pilot I know takes a combination of Sudafed and Benadryl. He claims that the Sudafed counteracts any side effects of the Benadryl and the combination relieves both congestion and runny nose. I have no idea if that drug combo would be sanctioned by an AME or the FAA.

(Sorry to bring up an old thread guys)

http://www.aopa.org/members/databases/medical/druglist.cfm

I looked up Benadryl, and found out it is NOT allowed by the FAA.

Sudafed is allowed, but the FAA mandates that you wait 12 hours before flying.

Latest resources

Back