• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Remember Scott and Steve, 26 August...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had a dream about Steve last night.....

I don't know how it got started but I know it was 8/26/03, and I was at work, re-living the phonecall from Jason's Mom telling me of the accident, telling me that it wasn't Jason, and just as I caught my breath, telling me that it was Steve.....

Then all of a sudden I was rewatching the dream I had 2 years ago about Steve, where I saw him in the elevator of my old apartment in PHL, and I was so shocked all I could say was 'Are you okay?'...to which he gave me that contagious Steve-grin and said 'Of course I'm okay'

Then I was back here in TRI walking through my front door, and Steve was sitting on my couch, playing the guitar, and he looks up, grins, and says 'Didn't I tell you I was okay?'.....at which I burst into tears and woke up.....

I'm definately drinking after work tonight......

I must say I don't know Steve or Scott but I am saddened by the events which have transpired. I too will raise a glass to our fallen aviators- known and unknown. God's speed....

P2J

Forget the bar....

How about the morning union meeting at Burger King.

Today is a very sad day

FLYING WEST
I hope there's a place, way up in the sky
Where pilots can go when they have to die.
A place where a guy could buy a cold beer
For a friend and a comrade whose memory is dear.
A place where no doctor or lawyer could tread,
Nor a management-type would e'ler be caught dead!
Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke.
The kind of a place that a lady could go
And feel safe and secure by the men she would know.

There must be a place where old pilots go,
When their wings become heavy, when their airspeed gets low,
Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
And songs about flying and dying are sung.
Where you'd see all the fellows who'd 'flown west' before,
And they'd call out your name, as you came through the door,
Who would buy you a drink, if your thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"

And there, through the mist, you'd spot an old guy
You had not seen in years, though he'd taught you to fly.
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear
And say, "Welcome, my Son, I'm proud that you're here!
For this is the place where true flyers come
When the battles are over, and the wars have been won.
They've come here at last, to be safe and alone,
>From the government clerk, and the management clone;
Politicians and lawyers, the Feds, and the noise,
Where all hours are happy, and these good ol' boys
Can relax with a cool one, and a well deserved rest!
This is Heaven, my Son. You've passed your last test!"

— Captain Michael J. Larkin, TWA (Ret.), 'Air Line Pilot' magazine, February 1995.

I can't believe it has been two years........That morning I flew ALB-ISP-ALB. Talked with the crew of the busted aircraft in ALB, the went to LGA. Rampers in LGA told us we had a crash. Went back to ALB and walked in the gate area to see the aircraft submerged in water on CNN. Someone then told me who the crew was. (SK was a close friend) I flew that aircraft a few just days before that. It could of happened to any of us. Rest in peace guys.

FlightTraker

Hi all, I didn't know Steve that well. but I was lucky to call Scott a good friend. We had a lot in common,He and I were on race car pit crews,and he was a fellow mech.I still can see Scott pushing his eye glasses back in place,as they slid down his nose with that grin,and helping me trouble shoot an A/C issue.I lost my dad shortly before the crash,and he helped me out with that,as his dad had passed on also. I went to the service and looked Scott and Steve's loved ones in the eye,and said I was sorry,and cried with them while other people that were there looked very guilty,and were not saying much. It is sad for me to report that thing's have not changed,in fact they have gotten worse in MX and the Fed's are not doing crap. I will go to the beach and light 2 candles and tell them I am sorry we let them down. The only sollace I have, is I did not put that airplane back together. Remember, If it's broke, write it up,no matter who threatens or pressures us, I cannott go thru another one of these. Here is a poem that was read at my dad's funeral,and I present it for Scott and Steve........ "Sea-Fever"

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

By John Masefield (1878-1967).
(English Poet Laureate, 1930-1967.)

Wow what a differnece two years makes. I can see HPN ops and the mechanic in BOS (cant remember his name he was the younger one) just like it was yesterday. I had to fly HPN-BOS within 5 minutes of hearing about the crash, by then we still had no idea who the crew was. It wasn't until we got to BOS that we knew who and what plane. That was a long flight as we wondered who it was and if they were ok. I knew Steve way better than Scott since Steve was in my new hire class. One of the last times I saw him we were in the elevator of the HYA raddison and rode in a cab to work together. I think that was right around a month before it happened. One of the things I remember about Scott was how nice he was to a young new hire on IOE up there in PQI. Well my first week of upgrade training is done and its time to go to the bar and rasie a few for Scott and Steve.

Can someone plz enlighten me on who these two individuals were and what were the circumstances surrounding their demise?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back