Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Markm1811

you did what Capt ??
Can someone please explain more about Relief pilots. what requirements, min times etc ?. Are they even legal in the US. Any info greatly appreciated.

Midnight Brit
Telling pilots what to do 4 nights a week.

You might find more information if you do a google search for the "Aviation Work Rules and Pilot Relief Act of 1994"

Markm1811 said:
Can someone please explain more about Relief pilots. what requirements, min times etc ?. Are they even legal in the US. Any info greatly appreciated.

There is no relief in sight for pilots in the US.

But, since you asked a serious question: cruise/relief pilots are used by some carriers when an augmented crew is required for long flights. Those carriers assign regular line pilots to those positions; each airline would have its own way of assigning or bidding, however.

Cruise/relief piloting doesn't exist here as an option outside the normal career path. Does it in the UK? I had no idea.

XTW said:
It's not a serious question, and I can't believe you people humor this adolescent.

X

It looks like a serious question to me. Maybe that's just my gullibility showing through.

So if it is a serious question the answer depends on the country. In the States there really isn't a separate category for cruise/relief pilots. Generally most major airlines in the States type their international first officers so that they can act as a pilot from the left seat. A typical crew complement for a flight between 8 and 12 hours would be 1 Captain and 2 First Officers. Both of the first officers would be capable of flying, in cruise, from the left seat. Divide the total flying time, or time in cruise, by three and that would be the time that ech pilot would get for rest in the back. On flight over 12 hours there may be 2 Captains and 2 First Officers or perhaps 1 Captain and 3 First Officers.

Outside of the United States some airlines employ starting pilots as Second Officers. In this case all they do for their first few years is in-flight relief. They generally don't get to take off and land. In this case their entry requirements are a bit lower than a typical U.S. major airline new hire.

Typhoonpilot

I believe they use cruise/relief pilots on Cathay Pacific. The position is also refered to as a Second Officer.

The SO takes the airplane while the Captain or FO rests on the long haul flights, and won't be in the left or right seat below 10000. I knew a former flight instructor at a place I worked who went on to do that for them, as a 'foot-in-the-door'. She had about 400 hours TT I think when she was hired - also spoke 3 languages etc. etc.

A friend of mine who was in the came class as myself was a SO for Virgin Atlantic on the A340, he was hired with a CAA Frozen ATPL and 500hrsTT.

3 weeks on 2 weeks off 1 week standby.

NoPax said:
I believe they use cruise/relief pilots on Cathay Pacific. The position is also refered to as a Second Officer.

The SO takes the airplane while the Captain or FO rests on the long haul flights, and won't be in the left or right seat below 10000. I knew a former flight instructor at a place I worked who went on to do that for them, as a 'foot-in-the-door'. She had about 400 hours TT I think when she was hired - also spoke 3 languages etc. etc.

This from the Cathay website:

Minimum Requirements All Second Officer applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
  1. An ICAO Airline Transport Pilot's License (ATPL) (obtained without exemptions) or ICAO Commercial Pilot's License (CPL) (obtained without exemptions) with passes in all ATPL ground examinations
  2. A Valid Multi-Engine Instrument Rating
  3. A minimum of 1000 hours fixed wing (preference will be given to applicants with turbine or multi-engine experience)
  4. Experience commensurate with age
  5. A current Class One Medical
  6. Fluent spoken & written English
Current competitive requirements are reportedly around 3000 total time with experience in jet or turboprop aircraft.

TP

How long do you fly as a second officer before you are able to upgrade to first officer? Is it flt time based or seniority based or both? Are you even able to log much time as a SO?

Latest resources

Back