• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyFlyFly

Registered Offender
I have scoured the regs and cannot find one on this. Anyone have an idea:

You depart with 430 Knots true in the airspeed box of your flightplan. Enroute, you pull the engines back and are now truing at 400 knots. Do you need to report anything to ATC?

AIM 5-1-7

If the average TAS changes plus or minus 5 percent or 10 knots, whichever is greater, advise ATC.

I think so sir.

If you are IFR you do. 10% or 5 Knots (whichever is greater).

Look for manditory reporting.

-Jack

(I'm retarded, of course you are IFR)

FlyFlyFly said:
I have scoured the regs and cannot find one on this. Anyone have an idea:

You depart with 430 Knots true in the airspeed box of your flightplan. Enroute, you pull the engines back and are now truing at 400 knots. Do you need to report anything to ATC?

What GVJeff said. Your example is a 7%/>10kts reduction. I found it in AIM 5-3-3(e).

I never got the impression ATC really cared in a radar environment, but that's the rule.

Last edited:
I always had my students let center know about the airspeed variations and had ZMP tell us they dont care in a radar enviroment. Now that could have been because they didn't like us UND birds "training" in their airspace and didn't want to talk to us or they just don't really care.

DC8 Flyer said:
... and had ZMP tell us they dont care in a radar enviroment.

Absolutely correct. The rules of the game are incumbent upon the guys flying the airplane. Doubt it had anything to do with UND...if it did, they didn't like Delta Airlines in their airspace and didn't want to talk to us either.

Ahhhh, the AIM. Searched FARs through and through. Knew I had seen it somewhere. Thanks for the quick responses.

This post will self-destruct in 60 seconds...

Quick I only have 59...58...57...56...
I wanted to ask this question too. I have little experience IFR and have yet to do a flight when I would have irregular TAS(IFR). So my question, as I do understand the FAR's, what would ATC do if they advised you of your TAS changing 5% or +-10 and you didn't report. I always thought this reporting would become redundant. I guess I think this because my mastery of the 172 TAS speed could use some work.

logansun said:
Quick I only have 59...58...57...56...
I wanted to ask this question too. I have little experience IFR and have yet to do a flight when I would have irregular TAS(IFR). So my question, as I do understand the FAR's, what would ATC do if they advised you of your TAS changing 5% or +-10 and you didn't report. I always thought this reporting would become redundant. I guess I think this because my mastery of the 172 TAS speed could use some work.

I guess how would they know your TAS? It is dependent on PA and Temp, correct? They get GS...which makes the 250 indicated below 10k/200 under B in C or D rule a little squishy since that's indicated and they see ground...

But I'm sure they can be close.

If you've got a "TAS indicator" in your 172, just flip the "TAS indicator" part to put the (pressure) altitude and the temp together and the arrow points to TAS...

-mini

Back to the real world application of this question. In all my hours (im not saying I have a lot of hours, I am just saying in all the flight time I have) I have NEVER heard anyone report a change in TAS or ETA. Are all those pilots flying their profile perfectly??

Latest resources

Back