Regionals: Victims of their safety record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Phony Marconi

Not a single fatality in the US from an RJ crash (except, of course, the skilled Pinnacle ferry pilots.)

How else could the companies have become so brazen as to hire such inexperienced pilots?

"300/100 or less" reads the new-hire roster at most regionals.

I don't know about you, but when I had 300 hrs, I was surely a menace.

We all know how safety margins are shaved when a 300 hr newbie gets paired with a newly-typed Captain with about 2000 hrs TT.

Imagine how things would have played out if safety of regional airlines was a daily topic in the media due to a spate of crashes?

Fortunately this did not occur: at the same time, it's precisely to blame for our demise.

You see, historically, airline pilot labor was not easily replaced. Thus the threat of a strike or other job action quickly took management to their knees.

But how can we demand fair wages now? When we are outsourced in an instant to another "portfolio" carrier, our ability to negotiate anything is completely gone. A few young, eager, cheap newly-trained pilots is all it takes to steal your job and ship it "overseas" to a new regional.

We all need to unite quickly and put an end to this outsourcing craze. We have the ability to change the industry, and we must! Our careers are at stake, and we've been stupid enough to think that by arguing over a few bucks an hour, we are in control. The issue is really about thousands of bucks, job security, and our entire careers.

Last edited:
300/100 or less" reads the new-hire roster at most regionals
Prove it, I bet you'll find average new-hire times at most regional are over 1000 hours.

We all know how safety margins are shaved when a 300 hr newbie gets paired with a newly-typed Captain with about 2000 hrs TT.

You just said "Not a single fatality in the US from an RJ crash". So you argue against your statement that somehow regionals we are less safe.

We all need to unite, or else things will never improve, and we will just talk all day long on these boards about nothing.

Then organize soemthing, cause all your doing is talking.

I was surely a menace

You still are, just not in the airplane

wmuflyguy said:
against your statement that somehow regionals we are less safe.

Then organize soemthing, cause all your doing is talking.

You still are, just not in the airplane
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Look outside of America most other countries do Ab initio(SP?) training. You might be surprised to find a British Airways 737 or A320 FO with less than 300 hours...but this is the norm. The military does the same thing no flying time into an F16 in just a few years.

Use your time to do something that will help. And here is a hint this is not helping.

Phony Marconi said:
Not a single fatality in the US from an RJ crash (except, of course, the skilled Pinnacle ferry pilots.)

That accident has been bashed to hell. Why not just learn from the accident and become a better pilot from it? It's easy to be sarcastic when you don't know the individuals involved.

Rook said:
It's easy to be sarcastic when you don't know the individuals involved.

Its also pretty easy to draw our own conclusions from the FDR transcripts. :rolleyes:

Phony Marconi said:
How else could the companies have become so brazen as to hire such inexperienced pilots?

Hmm let's see, probably ALL of them at one point or another. I know United used to hire guys with a few hundred hours back in the 70's or 80's. Regionals have been hiring low time guys for years... into turboprops without autopilots or flight directors (at least back in the day)!!

Where's your argument? A lot of military pilots solo their own jet with a few hundred hours. Experience has almost nothing to do with a safety record. It's all about your attitude and knowing when to say no or speak up.

Latest resources

Back