Regionals to Part 135

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dnkt

Have a chance to go back to 135 and not commute. Im 8 months from upgrade at xjt considering two year upgrades hold up. Pay is better at the new gig and way less flying but your on call which isn't a big thing. For some reason I feel a need to stay at xjt and tough it out. Considering all the things happening at xjt, I don't want to make the wrong choice and be left in the dust if xjt goes down the tubes. Anyone ever make the jump?

Last edited:
If you have any aspirations of going to the majors one day then hold out for the left seat. I've have made that jump to corporate/135 before and now I'm jumping back. Unless you're furloughed or on the verge of personal bankruptcy, you should never feel pressured to take another job. Corporate aviation is projected to only get bigger. There will always be plenty of Part 91/135 jobs for experienced pilots since insurance requirements will only continue to rise. The world might not instantly become a better place once you get 1000 hours PIC 121 but at least other job options in the industry will become available to you. Besides, if after you get that PIC time you decide to go corporate, you can always return to the airline world and bypass the regionals. If you leave now and decide to return, you are at the bottom of the list flying RJs again. You have to ask yourself, "Where do I want to be in 10 years." If the answer is with out a doubt, corporate, then leaving now might be the right thing to do. If that answer is flying for an airline-any airline, then stay put. Besides, I wouldn't believe too much of the gloom and doom surrounding XJT here on flightinfo. Its only rumors until they start parking aircraft.

Last edited:
In 10 years I want to star in a Corona commercial.. The one where the cell phone gets thrown into the ocean. Actual first choice is to be born rich but parents are not cooperating.

You gotta do what you gotta do. I know lot's of guys who jumped back to 135 due to the commute, and the family problems associated with the schedule. No matter what you do, you'll probably end up kicking yourself in the end.

I jumped to 135 after 4 years at Beagle only because I could get right into the left seat on turbine equipment. It just depends on what corporate is offering. One thing to consider is that at XJT you'll fly way more per month than at most typical 135 jobs, so when you do upgrade you'll hit that 1000 turbine PIC more quickly.

from experience! take the upgrade and hang out -- enjoy being a captain. I upgraded at skywest last year and left for a corporate capt job, but now I wish I would have stayed. Having a boss sucks, esp if he is a jackass and you find out to late! 135 is the same way for the most part.

What kind of 135? Sked or non-sked? Turbine or piston? How stable is the company...

I know two people that left a turboprop 121 outfit for a 91 Lear gig. Both ended up coming back at the bottom of the seniority list...

I am laid off but looking at corporate , but for all the right reasons for me. like kids who just turned 10 and 13. You have to look at your own situation. you can get pros and cons here but nobody knows your life better than you.

Have a chance to go back to 135 and not commute. Im 8 months from upgrade at xjt considering two year upgrades hold up. Pay is better at the new gig and way less flying but your on call which isn't a big thing. For some reason I feel a need to stay at xjt and tough it out. Considering all the things happening at xjt, I don't want to make the wrong choice and be left in the dust if xjt goes down the tubes. Anyone ever make the jump?

Everyone should be looking for that "better" job no matter where you are at. I am here at XJT with you since you said you are 8 months away i am going to guess i am senior to you so now you know my goal is NOT to get you to bail and bump me up. with that said I personally am always on the lookout for a better gig. I really like it here at XJT but right now this isnt my long term goal. So i am going to ride the XJT wave until something better comes along. I have a few connections i am working on but any job that i am looking at of course why be a step up the so called career ladder. My deal is when i find a job that allows me to be home more and make more money and increase career progression i will be all over it. Good luck and i think the 2 year mark might come down because now senior FOs have more of a reason to stay FOs for the Charter Pay and Home basing.

4 months away from the 2 year mark so we will see!:beer:

Last edited:
Stay & Upgrade!

Like you said you are 8 months from upgrade, stick it out, bud. Get your upgrade you will be better off in the long run.
Depending on the 135 company, most 135 gigs are kinda "mom & pop" outfits with very little budget and a lotta cutting corners.
Also there is a "total disregard" for safety, maintenance and FARs and as far as you are concerned "you don't count"
You will have to deal with folks who proudly call themselves "dispatchers" but are actually "flight followers" (Salespeople) and have absolutely no clue about aviation. Their job is to push you to do stuff you don't want to & sell trips, so the bossman is happy.
Being on a pager sux big time so does commuting.

Good Luck!

Latest resources

Back