• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regionals flying even bigger planes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Props will return, and mainline will still be too good to fly them....

Why do some regional airline fly RJ's and others fly props?

There are 2 markets in regional flying. One is Tprops and another is Jet flying.

Tprops service routes that are 100 to 200nm away from hubs. RJets service hub to hub flights or 500-1000nm flights.

Some airlines want to fly Jets but have not the necessary logistics, for example not enough hangar or maintenance or people to service jets. That's a big determinant in their ability to be awarded a jet contract by the major airlines.

There are 2 markets in regional flying. One is Tprops and another is Jet flying.

Tprops service routes that are 100 to 200nm away from hubs. RJets service hub to hub flights or 500-1000nm flights.

Some airlines want to fly Jets but have not the necessary logistics, for example not enough hangar or maintenance or people to service jets. That's a big determinant in their ability to be awarded a jet contract by the major airlines.

I don't think that that statement is true. NWA used DC9's to fly many of the less than 200 nm routes, then gave the flying to the commuter airlines. I fly the DC9 and since June have begun to "take it back". The trip I am currently flying is DTW-DAY, I haven't been to DAY for ten years, now we're back.

NWA used to have 190 DC9's flying to most of the cities that Pinnacle, Mesaba, Compass currently fly. There is a change happening this summer where the DC9 is returning to many of those markets. Maybe it is just seasonal but that may mean that there will be more major airline domestic flying and more jobs.

ANA has 777's flying those sectors. Here is an Idea, STOP PRICING AIRLINE TICKETS ON THE CHEAP. :uzi:

Dumb Pilot,
Once you start raising fares, people stop flying and airplanes go away. They will get the prices as right as they can to keep the airplanes full and still eek out a couple of bucks. Where will you be if your airline demands more money for a ticket and refuses to bend? On the street I bet.

Go back and look at the air travel percentages of regulation days versus today. Just in one decade after deregulation, the number of fliers went up over 50%. Do you really think raising prices will help your job? The answer lies in running efficiently. This doesn't mean scalping the pilot either. Marketing shops don't seem to do a very good job when it comes to this. They only count the beans and forget what makes the beans grow into vines and produce more beans.

Last edited:
I don't think that that statement is true. NWA used DC9's to fly many of the less than 200 nm routes, then gave the flying to the commuter airlines. .

So what I said is true then. Commuter airlines fly routes less than 200nm.

Back in the day when gas was 1 dollar, the majors could do whatever, but now regionals are picking up the lift.

Say what? WRONG. Most mainline pilots have had it with RJs. They have seen them takeover mainline routes and now they are watching the CRJ-50s go away. Most of the people who didn't care were the very senior ones that all have left thanks to lump sum retirement or the fear of losing their retirements. The guys that are left were narrowbody Captains, who again watched the routes dwindle. Now that they are Widebody Captains, they have to commute home on RJs, and hate them. I seriously doubt any of the current senior guys, or any of the rest of the mainline pilots, want to see an expansion of 100 seaters going to the regionals. If you think so, you are dilusional. DL had almost 2000 senior guys leave prior to BK. They were the lifer regional pilots "last hope." Sorry to dissapoint you, they are gone now.

And you are SKW, right? Have you seen SLC evolve over the years? Remember when DL flew 737-300s to Montana (my Sis lives up there, used to fly on them all the time) and Pasco etc? That was all replaced by RJs, which are now on the way out. A320s and A319s are starting to fill in on some of those routes, and DL is now mixing up the regionals that fly at hubs. That must make you feel "really comfortable..."

Also, maybe you haven't read about the stoppage in talks between CAL/UAL ALPA and management for a merger transition agreement? Sounds to me like maybe the ALPA pilots didn't like something management stated, and stopped talking. Could be due to SCOPE? Maybe? Sounds like your upcoming downgrade is closer than you think.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

If they mainline Delta pilots have "had it" with the RJs, well they should look in the mirror at themselves as a pilot group if they want to have had it with anyone.

They are the ones who allowed this door to open, for whatever was dangled in front of them as a carrot, and more than a bit of hubris in terms of aircraft size. I mean who would want to be soiled flying a smaller jet or a prop aircraft, that doesnt need to be at Delta and dirty that airline.

Of course that 50 seat jet became 70 or more, and now some of these same pilots at the majors want to take it out on pilots at the regionals because it was THEIR flying, even though they gave it away and started the process.

Giving away smaller aircraft, has caused irrepairable damage to the airline industry, and its laughable at how even on here, how some major pilots crow about "taking it back". Take it back?? It should have never been given away in the first place. And I doubt it will ever get taken back, every airline has its share of pilot who would give away even more as long as they receive a dollar off coupon for Panda Express out of it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back