• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

regional turbo props

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, the Dash is a superior airplane. And it looks like they will soldier on for longer than Siegal had anybody believing back in '02 and '03.

91 said:
Yes, the Dash is a superior airplane. And it looks like they will soldier on for longer than Siegal had anybody believing back in '02 and '03.

I don't know how many times I heard that second-rate executive say "all-jet fleet". Nothing against jets - but 20 people can only be profitably transported from BOS-SYR on Greyhound or a prop.

HughBeamont said:
I don't know how many times I heard that second-rate executive say "all-jet fleet". Nothing against jets - but 20 people can only be profitably transported from BOS-SYR on Greyhound or a prop.

Absolutely. Instead of pouring money into all those 50 seat CRJ's, they ought to have invested in some 400's. I understand that the Dash's are still profitable. So who cares if "people don't like turboprops"? They are still getting on them, aren't they? And how long after Continental Express become on "all jet fleet" did Continental go running off to Commutair for some 19-seat feed.

As a ramper, I always preferred the Dash 8 to the Saab. The cargo bin was at waist level, and could be easily loaded by one person. Also, the ground power hooked up to the nose, so it was easy to unhook it and send out the flight. Due to the high wing design, engine exhaust wasn't much of an issue either.

Saab's cargo is higher, and ground power is in the middle or the fuselage, which requires someone to duck under the exhuast to go unplug it.

The ATR-42/500 was the best turboprop made. It could carry 48 pax, a lot of freight, and plenty of fuel.

At FL250 it would true at 300+ kts and was quiet with no prop vibration. Plenty of room in the cockpit too.

Also the packs worked very well.

SWA GUY said:
The ATR-42/500 was the best turboprop made.

I still get a semi when I think of that airplane. Too bad we only had eight of 'em.

Latest resources

Back