Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saviboy

hi
how do the different turbo props( dash 8, atr, dornier, saab 340/2000, J31,etc...) compare in terms of reliability and ops costs?

I don't think anyone still operates the Dornier props in airline service anymore. They were nice planes at PSA at least from a rampie prospective. I would have loved to take one around the patch. I know the only 3 Saab 2000's are operated by Hendrick Motorsports (NASCAR). This is a US based statement. There are some running around Europe. The J31 was a POS! That is first hand knowledge.

Once you learned where all the appropriate circuit breakers were located, the Saab 340 was pretty reliable.

The fourth sentence at the top of the page reads...

"This fall, PSA completed its transition to an all CRJ fleet."

There are no D328s around anymore in the US. I think Corning Inc. operates one as a corporate shuttle though.

Oh there are DO-Props in the U.S. But they are all parked in U.S.Airways Paint scheme in MYR. Just sitting their collecting dust next to Delta DO-Jets.

WMUSIGPI said:
. I know the only 3 Saab 2000's are operated by Hendrick Motorsports (NASCAR). This is a US based statement. There are some running around Europe. The J31 was a POS! That is first hand knowledge.

Joe Gibbs just took delivery of 2 SB20's. I think Hendrick may be looking for 1 more. I'll ask around next time i'm out at the airport in Concord.
I enjoyed flying the JS32. It wasn't the best airplane in the world, but it makes a true pilot out of you.

BlackPilot628 said:
Joe Gibbs just took delivery of 2 SB20's. I think Hendrick may be looking for 1 more. I'll ask around next time i'm out at the airport in Concord.
I enjoyed flying the JS32. It wasn't the best airplane in the world, but it makes a true pilot out of you.

The Jetpig does indeed increase your pilot skills. Far cry from the Avro, I can already feel myself losing pilot skills, but dang will I be a great computer programmer here soon, Maybe I can ask for a payraise to what the computer science majors are getting out of college.

SkyWest has 62 EMB-120s (Brasilias). They are a great airplane. I've never flown any other regional turboprop though so I can't compare. Reliability is a relative term. They are less reliable than the RJs but that's because they are older too. They do have great reliability overall but that's primarily due to SkyWest's great maintenance. They are relatively cheap to operate but I don't know dollar figures. Recently they have become less profitable since the FAA changed the average passenger weights up from 170 lbs to 190 lbs. Many times they are weight restricted with the new passenger weights. There are a lot of Nascar teams flying Brasilias.

Ahhh man, no better turboprop than the mighty DHC-8... but then again, I'm a little biased.

What other regional turboprop can land at a 3,000 ft strip on a regular basis and then takeoff again without overly restrictive performance penalties? Man, I miss flying that Canadian POS... :)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back